Are there any Christian religions that allow you to drink?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I doubt it. I am a Christian though and I think it's okay to drink in moderation. Not get drunk though.
    Anonymous

• Well.... given that 95% of the people I know are Christian.... and at least 75% of those people drink alcohol to some degree.... I'd say most of them allow for it LOL At least in THEIR interpretation
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Um, yeah? Where does it say you have to abstain from alcohol? You're supposed to treat your body as a temple, and I'm sure that means you can drink in moderation.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's all about moderation. Most denominations do not openly condone drinking at all, but most Christian individuals, including me, use Ephesians 5:18 as their guide "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." Like Anon said, you just don't drink to the point of being drunk, but there is nothing in Scripture to indicate that there is anything inherently evil about alcoholic beverages. It's the abuse of it that is the problem.
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My MIL is positive one drink will cause the devil himself to pop up and give her a do not pass heaven go directly to hell card. that is why i ask
    Anonymous

• This is how my religion puts it. Drunkeness is prohibited, but drinking it in moderation isn't. Jesus and his people drank wine, and if Jesus himself did it, then what would be the problem?There's a limit though. It's about what your intentions are behind the drinking. Are you drinking to get drunk? Are you just drinking a little to have a drink? My dad has drank beer on occasion but he does not like getting drunk. He will have one and that's it. He swears it helps clear his sinuses. I don't know lol. It might. Different people have different convictions too.Take a former alcoholic and that might be a conviction for them b/c if it causes a struggle to have just a drink, then it wouldn't be good to have a drink at all if it caused him an impulse to relapse. Take someone who does not have a drinking problem and can do it in moderation, and it might not be a conviction to them because it wouldn't lead to
    continued
    Anonymous

• him defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit by drunkness. The bible has a verse in it that speaks about drunken fools or something. One man's tempatation might not be a problem for another man, so we all have different levels, but I don't think anyone should get drunk. If they drink it, let them drink like Jesus did which was NOT to get drunk.
    Anonymous

• temptation*
    Anonymous

• Drinking doesn't get you a one-way ticket to Hell. The Bible speaks of being drunk several times. I don't think having a glass of something with dinner is going to get you drunk and ruin your capacity to think straight.

With that said, I do not drink. I choose not to drink because by doing so, I'm supporting the companies that are creating the beverages that have ruined so many lives.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• That verse is a good verse to live by. It means seek the Holy Spirit to fulfill you, not drunkenness. A lot of people get drunk to feel good, get a high, use it as a supplement to "make the problems go away for a little while'" and as you can see, that's what alcoholics themselves do for temporary fulfillment, but it never fulfills them, they just keep feeding off it and getting worse.

Anonymous