Eye for an eye or turn the other cheek?

When you are attacked by others do you turn the other check or attack and lash back? What does Jesus call us to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Turn the other cheek is what we should do, and I have did that but I have not many times.
    Anonymous

• I can't speak to Jesus but if you're defending your character or your child, I fight back. I can turn the other cheek for a while and they once you're being stomped upon, you must rise up and defend yourself because you have to honor yourself. Plus, it is a good lesson for my kids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• "An eye for an eye makes the world blind"

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I recently heard a different interpretation of eye for an eye than I'd heard before. It was not that if someone takes your eye that you should take his, but that you shouldn't take more than one eye.
    So if somebody steals your car, you shouldn't steal two cars from him, but at most one-- the point being don't demand more for a wrongdoing than the wrongdoing was worth. If someone broke your mug, you wouldn't have to break his mug, but you certainly wouldn't break two or more of his mugs.
    This was something I hadn't heard of before.

Answer by Bmat at 7:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I try my best to turn the other cheek but it's much easier than it sounds! I can only do my best!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:53 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Turning the other cheek - Jesus preached love and forgiveness, and the early church was made up of pacifists, as many strains still are.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

So if somebody steals your car, you shouldn't steal two cars from him, but at most one-- the point being don't demand more for a wrongdoing than the wrongdoing was worth.

That. As for turning the other cheek, you only have 4 of them, what do you do when you run out?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• NP-this might help you understand

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:38:45 RSV)

Anonymous

• The above verses are from the "Sermon on the Mount," spoken from what is today called the Mount of Beatitudes overlooking the Sea Of Galilee (in photo) in the Galilee region of northern Israel.

Many have wondered just how far the famous "turn the other cheek" instruction from Jesus Christ should go in everyday Christian Living. Does it mean that we must allow ourselves to be defenseless victims of every thief or attacker that may come along?

Anonymous

• It's very important to realize the context in which Jesus Christ was speaking. In essence, He was telling those gathered there before Him, as well as us today, that Christians are not to respond to religious persecutors as though they were common criminals. He went on to say, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." (Matthew 5:44 RSV).

Jesus Christ was not prohibiting self defense by Christians in a manner permitted by law. He also said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace." (Luke 11:21 RSV). No "turn the other cheek" for burglars or looters, and by extension, every other sort of common criminal.

Anonymous