Crime in our country. Would it be less if we had tougher laws/punishment and modeled the USA after other countries?

In the middle east you lose your hand for stealing, in Singapore there is almost no murder with guns. If we lined up and shot pedophiles after the first offense, cut off people's hands if they stole, do you think our crime would vanish? It won't ever happen here but would you be for it? If crimes could be proven with DNA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it would.. I don't think our laws are strict enough- people know they can get away with it. I think alot of the problem does boil down to the way people are raised but I also think that regardless of a persons childhood MOST and I am not saying all but most understand right and wrong...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think our crime rate would be as low as that of other countries if we took a no nonsense approach to dealing with criminals like they do instead of everyone getting a smack on the wrist for everything and then let go. Our judicial system is a real joke. The criminals have more rights and better protection than the victims, it's sickening & it really needs to change.

Anonymous

• We would have less crime if we had better education. Why does the US have the highest rate of incarceration in the industrialized world? And the fastest growing infant mortality rate? And the highest numbers of guns and televisions per capita? And the highest rate of type 2 diabetes?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• awww...I don't know. I know pleanty of people who got into trouble and have since learned from their mistakes. Not stuff like pedohila and stuff but for stealing and things like that. I always wonder what led to it in the first place. Normally its a bad family life though sometimes some ppl are just bad for fun. So its hard to pass judgment. I think that if the crime is bad and it can be absolutly proven, then the punishment should be a bit harsher but I would hate to put a blanket statement on this saying yes or no, but oh I don't know..............I'm rambling. I just wish the parents today would step up and parent their children. Thats what some many kids want today is love and acceptance and attention.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:24 PM on May. 18, 2009