I AM SORRY AND I DONT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE BUT DO YOU THINK???

Well this is no offense to Jehovahs Witness religion at all but I have a question? Everytime a holiday comes around, a birthday anything to celebrate Jehovahs witness always say "I dont celebrate this, and I dont celebrate that". Well I think when we get off for the holidays @ work, I think the Jehovahs witnesses should meet @ a certain head quarters so they can work. If you dont celebrate memorial day, the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Then they shouldnt get the days off!!!!! This is just my opinion!!!!

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 8:02 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess Jewish people should also work on Good Friday and Christmas? Companies are closed on holidays otherwise JW would work.
    Anonymous

• I think that would be discrimination. Everyone gets a day off, but not everyone celebrates the holidays.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Lots of people don't actually celebrate the holidays we get off for, like Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veteran's Day. To them it's another day to sleep in. So should they go to work those days too?

I see what you're saying and where you're coming frmo but it isn't just JW.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's not just jehovah witnesses. But alot of time jewish people can take extra time off school and work because they're holiday's don't coinside with the other but they get their holiday and our holiday's off. But if the jehovah witnesses don't take alot of extra days off for other things then i think they should still get the time off that everyone else does. It's the religions that take their time off and still get more that i don't agree with. I'm not to knowledgeable on jehovah witnesses so i don't know what they take days off for.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Ok lets say that. But if no one else is going to work then why should they. What kind of work should they get together and do? Everyone needs a day off regardless of religion.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The reason days like Christmas are holidays and most places shut down is because before they were legal or bank holidays, nobody showed up for work. Everyone stayed home, paid or unpaid, and there weren't enough people left at work to accomplish anything. By working on those days, companies and government agencies are basically throwing away money - paying to heat and light a building for 2 or 3 people that normally would be running on next to no energy over a holiday or weekend. Since there is no work coming in on those days, and none of the companies they deal with will be open, they are essentially paying those 2 or 3 people to sit and do nothing all day.
    If you look up why Christmas is a legal holiday - that is the ONLY reason. It has no thing to do with religion, it's pragmatism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• No offense but I do not think you thought your opinion through.

First and foremost what you are talking about is religious discrimination.  A persons religious affiliation is not the business of the company they work for.

There is no way to regulate or monitor what you speak of.  I don't go BBQing and get shit faced on Memorial day, Labor Day or Independence Day....does that mean I should have the right to have those days off?

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:28 PM on May. 18, 2009

• A While ago, on cafemom. I heard an atheist say she was forced to take a day off in December. I couldn't help but think "SHUT UP!" my husband hasn't had a holiday or weekend off in years...so sorry your life is that horrible you get a day with your family.
    Anonymous

• Anon...we all make choices, your husband chose his job and she chose hers. 

She may not be getting paid for that forced day off which may be why she is angry.  Her family may be more in need of that extra day of pay then time together....you don't know the full story.  For all you know she could have needed that extra day's pay for a utility bill, diaper, etc.

Not everyone who gets holidays off is paid for them.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't agree.. why shouldn't they get time off for their hard work? A little harsh don't you think? I agree that most holidays surround what is now Christian holidays.. and that some other religions don't get to get off work for their holidays... but all in all time off is time off and EVERYONE deserves a little time off, holiday or no holiday... and most work places use this time to do other things, like clean up, and inventory, etc...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:53 PM on May. 18, 2009