Cleaning the pump?

Maybe a stupid question, but do you need to clean your pump if you know you're going to use it in afew hours? Can I just rinse it or do I need to take it apart and clean it?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 8:13 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was newborn I was really careful about cleaning it well. Once he was a few months old I would rinse it really well each time and scrub it once or twice a day. I hardly ever cleaned the tubes since they are a pain to get dry and the milk never touches them anyway.

If you're going to pump alot I would invest in a second set of bottles and stuff. That way you can always have a clean one on hand.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'd give it a good rinse after each use, but make sure to clean it thoroughly at least once a day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i do the same, rinse it good and clean with soap once a day. i also bought a second set of connectors, etc. so one was always dry and ready to go. medela makes quick clean wipes that are awesome, no soap and water needed. I still "really" washed them once a day.
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 8:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• When I pumped several times a day, I would just rinse out the suction cups really good after each use. Then I would wash them really good at the end of the day. The tubes don't need to be washed, because it is only pushing/pulling air. It never touches the milk, and I can't say that I have ever washed the air tubes.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• WHile at work I would just rinse everything and then stick in the dishwasher at night when I got home. I also never washed the tubes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I use the Medela quick wipes when I'm at work and then wash with soap and water and sanitize the pieces in the quick steam bag when I'm at home. I only cleaned the tubing once when I first got it but I haven't touched it since. The Medela manual says there is no need to wash the tubing anyway since it doesn't touch the milk.
    rebeccasmommy09

Answer by rebeccasmommy09 at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I only "wash" them once a day. But a neat tip that I learned in the NICU is to place your bottles, connectors, and even tubing in a ziploc bag and place in the fridge until next pumping. Works great when you are EPing.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 9:09 PM on May. 19, 2009