Question on how to keep the boys out of trouble this summer??

They are 14 and 12 (will be 13 the end of July). We dont have alot of money to buy pool passes and such. The boys are the "worst" when they get bored. They will start goofing around having a good time and then not know when to stop then end up in a major blow out! I have NO ideas on things to keep them occupied and I dont want them on the computer or watching tv all day! Any ideas?

krys1973

Asked by krys1973 at 8:15 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We got a used trampoline. We have a few kids the same age in the neighborhood and they ride bikes and play basketball. Bowling teams are usually pretty cheap. I limit computer time but do allow a couple hours a day. It is a challenge to keep them from driving me bonkers!
    Anonymous

• How about jobs? Like lawn mowing or something. Keeps them busy and they get their own $$

AMC theaters and Regal Cinemas has free movies in the summer. They are playing a few movies kids their age would like. Check out their websites.
    Anonymous

• Sports.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Unfortunately we dont have an AMC or Regal theater close to us. We are out in the country in Nebraska and too far from the big cities that would have them.

The boys are not into sports either. They will run around and play laser tag but get bored with it pretty quickly.

They do odd jobs for a friend of ours and she does "store credit" up at the gas station so they can get a pop or gum or snacks if they want.
    krys1973

Answer by krys1973 at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes, invest in some sports balls or see if you can afford to get them into sports at the Y or something like that.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 9:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• well what are they into? We had a trampoline and my older kids loved it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• if I could afford to get a trampoline I would get them one. Unfortunately my husband is off work for about another month for knee surgery and his short term disability check is very short and I am scraping by to pay the bills. The oldest is into drawing and sitting in front of the tv or computer. He likes geocaching but that take money too to drive to the locations. The only reason we found the couple we have is because we know the area and our first find my son and I were helped by a veteran at the game. To do it and find more of them we would have to have a handheld GPS and the cheapest we found is $89. My second son is only into sitting and playing computer or watching tv.
    krys1973

Answer by krys1973 at 8:53 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Call the Red Cross and get them in a babysitting class. Once they complete the class, they can advertise themselves as Red Cross certified babysitters; my 13 year old charges $7 and hour (though we are in a big city). They can also tutor younger kids in reading or math.
    Look for volunteer opportunities; this can be at a daycamp, a church, a hospital, a daycare, a museum, an animal shelter.
    My daugher's school (7-12 grade) is constantly sending our emails about summer educational opportunities; check with the school for resources in your area.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Do you live near a farm. Farmers are always looking for help in the summer. It is hard work but, they will learn so much and maybe even make some $$$
    mommarykaje

Answer by mommarykaje at 9:28 AM on May. 19, 2009

• 14 and 13. Making some money by mowing, or even in your own yard- say for an hour a day they must put in time for yard care- maybe grow small vegetable gardens, or weed, mow, edge. My sons worked as bag boys when they were 14. Scout camp isn't very expensive, but they'd need to be scouts, and one of my sons did volunteer work there when he was 13 or 14. The schools often have day camps.

Answer by Bmat at 11:30 AM on May. 19, 2009