When do we take away the bottle?

My grand-daughter is just over a year old and recently switched to whole milk. She uses sippy cups most of the day, with a bottle when she wakes up (she is sleeping all night), her afternoon nap and at bedtime. We still cuddle up with her and she isn't sucking a bottle all night or a pacifier. We were told by social services it is time to take those 3 bottles away as well. For dental health is her reason. I get that and my babies had no more bottle after about 18 months. The baby is sleeping thru the night and barely uses a pacifier for dental reasons.It seems awfully early. Any thoughts?

Mona330

Asked by Mona330 at 8:16 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got the same thing from my mom and my aunts, they all wondered if it was not too early. I pretty much had the bottle until I was 3, but I took the bottle away from my girl when she was a year. I started when she was 8m.o. during the day and took it away. My mom and aunts were pretty shocked with me because they never took it away that early, but they were also surprised that my girl didn't even care or miss her bottle. Her teeth are coming in nicely. I had a big gap that closed up.
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• when my daughter was a yr old i just took it away from her and say for now on big girl cups no more bottles
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• my son's bottle was taken away at 1 year old
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My children were one years of age when I took their bottles away. She will be alright.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i guess my question is really then...Its not early?
    Mona330

Answer by Mona330 at 8:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• no its not too early. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• No, I stoped giving my daughter her bottle when she was like 11 months, maybe earlier. I just wanted to see if she would do fine without it and she never had any problem at all without it.
    MommytoAngel08

Answer by MommytoAngel08 at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's not too early to me. But then my sons were off the bottle at 6 months, as soon as they could drink from a sippy cup.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• As soon as my daughter turned 1 no more bottle cold turkey!
    leighasmom

Answer by leighasmom at 9:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• By the way, she didn't even notice, she just started using the sippy cup, no problems! Good luck, I hope you have the same result.
    leighasmom

Answer by leighasmom at 9:24 PM on May. 18, 2009