How do you plan . . .

to fullfil your volunteer hours for our government?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Jury duty is not "volunteering." Anything that you can be thrown in jail for failing to do is anything but voluntary.

But by all means, lets mandate some "Mandatory volunteerism" and while we're add it, that's weigh it down with a bunch of unrealistic, politically correct expectations and create whole new charities from scratch so the existing ones, with a good foundation and steady supply of volunteers and donors, will be left hanging, unable to fulfill the promises they've already made (and delivered on) to millions of people because all the money and manpower was diverted to new start-ups run by idealists with no established base of operation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• With my two middle fingers held high..................... ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:36 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'll think about that when it actually happens.
    Anonymous

• I volunteer with  my church, my YMCA, childrens' school, homeless vets, and the Air Force Aid Society.  If Obama doesn't see that as Patriotic "enough", or doesn't see people like me doing our part? Then what Bexi says! he he he :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• With honor.... I'm proud to be an American and if my government needs my service...I'll do it graciously, as I do with my community, school and church.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I already do volunteer work through my church.

But here's the conundrum: if it's mandated, does that really make it "volunteer" work?
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• When my daughters were younger, they couldn't be in scouting, unless the mom's volunteered for something. It was mandatory. In Soccer its mandatory that each parent is assigned a day to bring drinks.... Some people would NEVER volunteer for anything.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:56 PM on May. 18, 2009

• But here's the conundrum: if it's mandated, does that really make it "volunteer" work?

idk, maybe the correct term would be slavery!?
    Anonymous

• My children went to private school and it was mandatory that twice a school year, parents had to help with bingo program. We live in a great country, giving back will only make it greater.
    I can't believe the whining and it hasn't even started. What a great example you must be for your children!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Then by all means Grand lets force people to do what they don't like. Bet when it crosses into something that you don't feel like doing or is against your beliefs you won't be so all fired ready to be FORCED into it! What part of land of the FREEEEEEEEEEEEE don't you get?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:01 PM on May. 18, 2009