If my daughter has her own personal cell phone that she pays for, do I have the right to know who she is talking to on it if she is still living here?

She is 13 and she thinks she can get a job somewhere and get her own cell phone. *rolling eyes*

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 9:12 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well she is your child and as long as she lives under your roof you have the right to know who she is talking to. I don't know of many jobs for a thirteen year old. Cell phones are kinda expensive. But lets say she does some how get the job and money. You have every right to know who she is talking to.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Let her try to do it. Stand back and give her some room. Make sure she earns enough money to get maybe a "pay as you go" phone and some minutes. That way she can earn just enough to pay for her minutes. She can babysit or something. But, do not let her get into a regular plan. If she can't pay, she would still be responsible for early termination fees. Let her know it's her responsibility to earn the money to pay for the phone.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Umm yeah! I dont care if she pays the bill or not she is only 13 years old! You are still the parent, and if she doesnt like that rule then she doesnt get a cell phone! How will she be able to get one with out you anyways? I am sorry but I cant believe your even asking this question! She may act like she knows everything, but she hasnt seen the half of it! The world these children are going up in is scary, and it is your job to protect her!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• if that was my daughter yes i would have the phone but in my name and the bill goes to me and she would pay for it but as 13 yes i would
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• lol. Aren't we in for a rude awakening.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Does it really matter who she's talking to on her cell? She's out in the world every day and you can't supervise her all the time, she's got to make wise choices on her own. It's our job as parents to educate them enough to hope they make good ones. That's not always the case, but at least you can discuss with her your concerns and see what she has to say about it.. Open the lines of communication, you don't want to just say NO because you can.. you want to say no because you've made a wise decision as a mother and you won't know that unless you find out why she wants one to begin with and what she'll do with it. I'm pretty sure kids can't get jobs at 13 can they?
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She's 13, she's a minor,lol She's not old enough to take out a cell phone contract so whether she's paying it or not it will be up to you to get it for her. So it will be up to you to monitor the phone. IMO, she's too young to have a cell phone...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• And I forgot to add that yes you definately have the right to know who she is talking to, as she is still under your roof.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Of course you do. You are the parent. My 17 and 18yo's are in high school and pay their own cell phone bills and I ask.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 9:33 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Seeing she is under 18, she cannot take out a phone in her own name. she legally cannot sign a contract. You have every right to know who she is talking to and if the phone is in your name, you can access the bill online and see every phone number that is called. She isn't even old enough to get a job, no state will give her a work permit until she is atleast 15 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on May. 18, 2009