latching baby on breast

i have a newborn baby and we are soo struggling with latching him on the breast. i dont know what to do anymore. i took the class.. i know the techniques but somehow its not working. he doesnt want to open his mouth
any tips?

glossyblack

Asked by glossyblack at 9:13 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol it can be frustrating.. my daughter latched but she was so tiny and my nipple sooo huge that it just became exhausting for me.
    Try rubbing his mouth near your nipple and looking for the sign that he's about to open his mouth.. when he does shove him on... that's all i've got.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• oh, sometimes I would squeeze my nipple so it wasn't so HUGE and latch her that way... when she opened up it would fit in easier.. and I could direct it into her mouth more.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Sometimes the football hold is easier for latching. It was for me. We did it football style for the first few weeks. We still do sometimes because for some reason he doesn't like my right side as much as he likes the left. Try gently pulling your baby's mouth open with one finger and placing your breast in that way too.

Remember that your baby is learning too. It won't always be so frustrating, but while you both learn it can seem like it won't ever happen. Be patient :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• my nipple was huge on her little mouth too and i would pinch the nipple to fit in her mouth and kind of keep it squished so that it still fit while it was in there. because if i let go, she couldnt grasp it well enough and it would just pop right out. try that... and when it is in there, try stroking her cheek to get her sucking and talk with her tell her shes doing good and give her positive words :) good luck! my daughter was having problems latching for a good week after she was born. it is frustating and i even cried few times because it was so frustrating but just keep trying, you and he rboth will get the hang of it! best of luck! stay positive :D
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i would 'hamburger' (think squashing a big juicy burger to fit it into your mouth) my nipple to fit it in better when my babies were little.
    stroke babys cheek beside their mouth-this triggers a reflex which makes a newborn turn their head to that side and open their mouth. you have to be fast though.
    try using a mirror to see better if you have difficulty seeing what he is doing. babies soon get the hang of latching, my babys mouth is like a magnet for my nipple-he knows exactly where it is!
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 9:33 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Alot of hospitals have a lactation specialist available to new mom's for several weeks after baby is born. Might be worth ashot to try that, or even ask your OB or your babies pediatrician for some help. The football hold was a great suggestion too, the easiest by far to controll latch on for most mom's. Try not to give up, and hang in there, it will only be hard for alittle while, and then it is so much easier. And if you can help it try not to supplement any other nipples untill he really ahs the hang of it cause it can make it more difficult to learn. GL, you arent alone and don't give up, you can do this.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Here are a couple of really helpful links with good pictures:

When Latching

Baby-Led Latching

Spend as much time as you can holding your baby skin to skin on your bare chest.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I had a hard time because he would open his mouth but before I could get anything in there he would close it(usually pinching my nipple in the process). I read somewhere to put your breast in like a rocking motion. Have him tummy to tummy with you and his head tilted back so his chin is pointing toward your breast. When he opens wide you stuff your breast in his mouth in a rocking motion from his bottom lip upwards. I dont know if that made any sense but it helped me get it in before he closed his mouth. If you are wanting anyother help I read that in the PLAYSKOOL 'Guide to Baby's first year', which was very very helpful as a first time mom. Hope it helps
    Zachsmom7

Answer by Zachsmom7 at 11:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Ich seh erst jetzt das du dein baby bekommen has.Ich weiss babys r us hat kleine aufsetzer fure deine brust.Sind extra dafuer gemacht wen die warze zu gross fuer den munt ist.
    shirley611

Answer by shirley611 at 11:04 PM on May. 20, 2009