WIC

my friend has her first WIC appointment tomorrow she is thinking about cancelling it b/c she found out they are going to stick her 5 week old to check his iron Does anyone know if you can still get wic and refuse to let them check his iron since they are not his doc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Seriously??? That's just stupid.
    Anonymous

• No I do not know. But seriously, it is just a little pick at their finger. My dd never even noticed it.I do know that if the doctor has tested his iron recently they can just go by those results.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:41 PM on May. 18, 2009

• When I used WIC they NEVER took blood samples for anything. If she is getting formula this might be something new they are doing to see if the baby needs an iron fortified formula. I would encourage her to keep the appointment. She is on it for a reason and her baby deserves the best nutrition!
    Anonymous

• I didn't start on WIC until my LO was 4 months, but they never checked her for Iron. They sent a questionnaire back with me to take to the doctor around 6 months and asked for some sort of blood count. But I was told by one of the ladies at WIC that it isn't mandatory to have it done. I sometimes think they give formula feeding moms a harder time. Does she FF?
    Anonymous

• As far as I know, that's one of the standard test they have to run. Even if she talks them out of it, they may still want his regular doctor to do it. Besides, anemia can be a serious problem for kids of any age, even if they're getting plenty of nourishment. I'm anemic, and have been all of my life. I take vitamins and eat iron-rich food, but I still have it. It's the best thing for her baby, even if it makes him cry for a minute.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 9:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i had to get pricked when i was pregnant and got on wic and it was nothing. im not sure if its required or if they even do it for infants, but honestly...its a little prick... its definitely worth it. its not a big deal at all. and in the end, wic will REALLY help her out. if she needs wic that bad you would think she would just do it to help her out in supporting her child.
    Anonymous

• **OP****** She just don't want them doing it she is OK with a doc doing it but they are not doc. and thats why she is not wanting them to do it he had his iron takin when he was 2 weeks he shouldn't have to have it don't again....but i guess im just going to have to see what she does im telling her it not a big deal
    Anonymous

• They poke the babys foot. My son honestly never even noticed. he just sat there like nothing happened. its not a needle its a teeny little spring. and yes I have been poked with the same thing so I know for sure it doesnt hurt.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 9:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• They are supposed to send the baby to a lab to have it done. If someone there is doing it, just tell her to ask to see some verification that they are entitled to do it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• wait till the baby gets the first set of 4 shots... let them poke the baby. its only for his own health.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 10:03 PM on May. 18, 2009