What is fair to charge a family member for childcare?

I have a in home childcare. The normal rate for infants in my area is between $150 to $200 a week. I told her I would charge her $50.00 per week since she is my sister. Since then she has not fulfilled that obligation. I told her my fee again and she acts like it is too much. I am licensed and care for other children. I am married and I think she feels since I have a husband with a decent job I should not ask for much. I think I am being more than fair. She works two to three days a week but on any given day she works 12-16 hour shifts which mean I have her child 13-17 hours? Am I being unfair or should I give her a break since she is a single mother? I love my niece and sister very much. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that there are people that say you should help her out because she is family. However, family obligations go both ways. She can't have children and expect someone else to just take care of them. It sounds like she agreed to this arrangement and now doesn't like it. You ARE helping her by cutting her price. If she went out, she wouldn't find anything that cheap. You can't just expect your family to take care of your children for free on a regular basis. If it were once in a while, yeah! Don't charge. But for a regular thing, I do think it's reasonable.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:09 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't think you are being unreasonable. My sister is a stay at home mom and her husband makes pretty good money. She is going to watch my baby when i go back to work and regardless of how much I'm making I expect to pay her something. This is your job and how you make an income. I would just tell her you love her and you are cutting her a big break by watching her baby. Do you make your other parents sign a contract? Maybe you should have her sign a contract also and if she doesn't want to respect it then she'll have to take her business elsewhere and pay full price which might make her realize how generous you are being. But stick to the contract, do not let her take advantage of you. My sister and I are best friends, but we would do that for each other. Sometimes its most necessary to sign contracts with the people closest to you. Be Strong, its about how much she respects and loves you.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 10:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• NEVER do business with family...if you're going to do it as a favor once in a while and not charge her that's the best bet in my opinion...no good comes from doing business with family...I personally wouldn't charge my sister, but that's just me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with calliesmommie.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i charge my SIL $100 a week.... i ahve her baby anywhere from 10-15 hours a day...... i think you are being MORE than fair
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:24 PM on May. 19, 2009