When did you stop breast feeding?

My son will be 11 months old in a couple days and I am sick of nursing!! But, I still want to give him the best I can, so how do I start weaning? Milk or formula... ?

marykay22

Asked by marykay22 at 9:56 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped with my son when he was 28 months old.
    As a nursing mom, it's NORMAL to get "touched out" where you just really feel like you don't want your baby (sometimes even your husband) touching you, because you feel like you never get any "personal bubble" time to yourself even. Try to get out of your house and do some fun things by yourself. Give yourself a break. It's definitely not time to wean your kiddo, especially when you can get over the feeling and keep providing your daughter with something her little body really needs.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:22 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i only breastfed for 9 weeks because i found it too hard to pump when i went back to work. but babies can start drinking cows milk at one year old so it would be kind of pointless for you to switch him to formula now.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Didn't I just see this question?
    Anonymous

• I would do milk or water in a tippy. he is old enough you dont want to get him on a bottle. because you will have to wean him from the breast then again from the bottle.So I would pick up some tippys from your store. My son is 14 months and still breastfeeding. And I am slowly weaning because I am pregnant. I would like a couple months to myself when I dont have to Breastfeed. lol my nipples are so sore from being pregnant and breastfeeding. haha Oh well tho. I don't mind much. I can't get these days back thats the only reason I'm not pushing for him to stop completly. Once hes done its over and I'll never get it back. lol but thats just my hormones getting me all sappy haha.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Keep in mind that weaning does not have to be all or nothing. Are you tired of breastfeeding in general, or are there just a few times a day that you are tired of it? For example, I loved nursing my toddlers to sleep at night.
    When you start weaning, start by eliminating the most annoying nursing session. You may find that if you get rid of some of them, you are okay with keeping a few!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:11 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Cut back one nursing a week...before 12 months he needs atleast 3 nursings a day to need nothing else...so cut back 1 nursing a week...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I breast fed my first for 5 months my second for 1 year

I'd say suck it up for one more month and go to milk.. but if you can not hold out the one last month then use formula until after he turns 1---
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Just do it for one more month if you can stand it:)...it goes by so quickly...I wouldn't do formula at this point.. He can have milk in a few weeks.....good luck mama. and good job for BFing for this long...Ive been BFing/pumping for almost 9 months and hope to continue til one year....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I would say bring him down to 3 times a day by cutting out one nursing session a week. Then, after he turns one, cut those out, 1 session per week again, switching to milk. That way, you don't need to bother with formula. I breastfed my first to one year, and my second to 4 months. This one, I'm hoping to stick it out to 2 years, but I don't know. I don't really like breastfeeding.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I breastfed my son for 6wks, then I went back to college and on top of that he started sleeping through the night....so I slowly dried up. I was devastated, but I knew I just couldn't keep up, so I switched him to formula.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:23 PM on May. 18, 2009