Birthday blow-out?

We all know that money is tight right now.

My youngest daughter will be a year old at the end of this month. We don't really have the cash to throw her a big birthday party. I feel guilty because my oldest daughter had a huge party at the park, but we just can't do it right now. To top it all off, I'm almost eight months pregnant, and I just don't have the energy to run around the park for hours, even if money was no object. We've decided to have a cook-out at my grandparents' house, and let her tear up a cake. We've just invited a few family members and a few of my friends with small children. Am I beating myself up for nothing? I just hate to have her look at pictures ten years down the road and wonder why her party wasn't as big as her sister's. Any suggestions for fun party stuff that I could do on the cheap to make the occasion memorable?

3_is_enough

Asked by 3_is_enough at 10:00 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't believe in big birthday parties for small children. Especially at one. I have seen way to many one year olds having a miserable time at their own birthday party. I prefer to keep it simple with just one or two friends/extended family members and a cake. My son had a samll party at home with just his parents, his babysitter, and four adult friends. Only one child attended. That was it. He had a wonderful time. His second birthday was just parents, grandparents, and an uncle at a beach. Again, had a great time. This idea that children need a big birthday party is rediculous. They need acknowledgement of their day, that's all. So don't feel guilty. Feel proud that you are not overwhelming her, yourself, and spending money that isn't necessary.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• She is one..........believe me, you are making a big deal out of nothing. She will only be interested in the pictures because it was her birthday and everyone "looked so different back then".....not in comparison to what party her sister had when.
    Seriously........let her mow into the cake, take pictures and enjoy the day. Birthdays are way more important when the kiddo is actually old enough to know what a birthday is. :)

Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 10:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She will only be turning one. She won't remember any of it. It's more important that family and close friends are there. Don't worry about it . . . just make all the pics of her . . she'll never know!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• We are going through the same thing with our LO. It shouldn't be an issue. We are doing a pary at our neighborhood park--cook out/ potluck. We can't seem to narrow the list any shorter than 40. We are providing hot dogs, and hamburgers and whatever anyone else can bring is great. We are going with a no gift request b/c money is tight everywhere. I wish you luck and have fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I wish that I haden't done a huge bash for my first, i totally felt obligated to the other 2 to have big parties for them too. My 3rd baby's party was not so much fun. I'm totally envious of people who have small family parties for their kids first birthdays!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:52 AM on May. 19, 2009