What is fair to charge a family member for childcare?

I charge my sister $50 dollars a week for childcare. I do only have her 2-3 days per week but usually it is for a 13-17 hour span. Am I being fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Seems fair to me...but it seems like your conscience is bothering you about it. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking. If it were ME, I would never charge a family member for child care. Family should be there for one another, without expecting monetary compensation.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fair and so what if it is your family. Would you work at a restaurant for your family for free to help them. I would never charge unless it was a regular thing and I assume you are also feeding the child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• eh i would say 50 is good. But i'd expect the parent to pay for extra's like trips to zoo. musesume ects.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:18 AM on May. 19, 2009

• ya id say that sounds fair.

i personally would never charge my family members tho..they never charge me, why would i charge them..although there was one time where i babysat for my sister and her 2 kids for 6 days, and i had to take time off work in order to do it cuz it was literally 6 days in a row, 24/7..she was outta town..and even tho i didnt tell her i wanted money, she gave me $50/day for it anyways..3 kids, 3 dogs 2 cats and the house..(i moved in there for the week)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Sounds fair. Your time is valuable regardless of family affiliation. You are still watching someone else's child.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think its fair. My bff used to babysit for me when I worked, and she charged me $10 a day, plus I provided lunch. Then if I needed her on a Saturday, during the day, I would give her $15, on a Sat. night, Id give her $25. Granted, she's not tech. family, but close enough, and I had no problems paying her.
    babygirl13

Answer by babygirl13 at 5:03 PM on May. 22, 2009