IM GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!

usually my 5 month old goes to bed in between 8 and 8:30 every night. she only wakes up once to eat at night and sometimes sleeps til 11 in the morning. for the past 3 days she goes down at 8 but then wakes up every 15 minutes wanting to play and wont lay down for bed again until like 11........WHAT DO I DO??? and why is she doing this?????

TNT8687

Asked by TNT8687 at 10:05 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son generally sleeps pretty well, but a couple of things have, at times, thrown his patterns way off--just like what you're describing. teething is one. when he's teething, it makes him very restless. during the day, that just means he's go-go-go, but at night, he's more likely to wake. given that your daughter is 5 months, that could be the issue. btw, we give my son homeopathic teething pellets now, and they really help. so does infant Motrin when all else fails. :)

the other thing that screws my son's sleep up temporarily is when he's hitting a big milestone. sitting up, crawling, pulling to a stand--they all threw him off for a few nights to a couple of weeks. also, around six months, they develop more social awareness and want more interaction. your girl might just want your company.

i would not recommend changing her natural nap schedule. you have her in a great routine. this, too, shall pass. :)
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:35 PM on May. 18, 2009

• DOes she nap during the day? if so maybe take a nap out.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She only takes one nap. Usually from about noon to 2-3.......no later than 4 if she goes down late.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Evalute her nap schedule and how many naps, and how long they are. You may need to restructure that schedule a bit. Also, babies just go through these weird phases. This has happened with my 11 month old quite a few times. When she wakes up just make sure to keep it dark, no talking, playing or tv. She has to understand that its night, night time. Good luck! I hope it passes soon! But most of us have been there time and time again!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• That is what my son did for a while i have a routine now that I NEVER miss i give him a bath with the lavender and then feed him while i rock him and hes out tell 6am he wakes up once in awhile around midnight to eat. it works wonders!

michelleyucel

Answer by michelleyucel at 10:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• if she is awake and content not hungry fussy or anything.. put her in her crib, or swing or bassinet or something and just lay next to her and doze off.just like if she were sleeping and woke up crying for a need, youll wake up with her. same in this situation. my daughter is going through a growth spurt and the past few nights she is WIDE awake for a long time.. last night i didnt go to bed until about 6 am :( and only slept for about an hour. but i went out in the living room, put her in her swing and dozed off waking up every so often just by natural instinct and she was fine and i got some rest in as well.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:17 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Oh, she has a VERY VERY VERY set schedule. We never miss a single thing every night. She gets a night time jar of baby food at 7:30, then a lavender bath around 7:45-8 (depends on how fast she eats.) Then she gets wrapped in her fave blanket, gets her night time bottle while I rock in the dark with her sound ease on and thats all. Then she's usually asleep by 8-8:30. It's just these past few nights she has NOT wanted to stay asleep for long......its like shes takin a little nap and then she wants to play again......maybe we should wake her earlier.....and bring everything back an hour or so??????
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I have heard that when they are getting close to a milestone they start not wanting to sleep. Mine goes through this sometimes at the point where she is going to conquer a milestone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i wish sleeping while she was awake like this was an option. she is just learnin how to make words and she screams and trys to talk the whole time....VERY loudly!!!!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My kids will do the same thing but its because of the fact that at 8 its still light outside, I would say that If the room has windows put dark curtains up so it appears to be darker in the room
    BabyLove0607

Answer by BabyLove0607 at 10:38 PM on May. 18, 2009