What is fair to charge a family member for childcare?

I charge my sister $50.00 a week for childcare. The going rate for an infant is 150 to 200 per week. I thought I was being fair charging that rate. I will mention I do only have my niece 2-3 days per week but it is for a 13-17 hour span because she works 12 to 16 hour shifts. What is fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think it's more then fair. Your sister has to take into consideration how much it costs to babysit a child for that amount of time. She has to account for food, diapers (if needed), and anything else the child might need while they are in your care. It's not your responsibility to finance this. Now if it were a once in awhile thing, then i'd say it would be crazy, but since it's every week, I think you're being fair.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think you're being more than generous. Yes, she's your sister, and I'm sure she's grateful to have someone close to her watching over her daughter. But I don't think asking for more would be a bad thing on your part. If she's under a lot of financial strain, I wouldn't press the issue, but if she can afford it, ask her for a bit more (maybe $80.00 per week) just to help you out. Tell her that if she can pay you more some weeks that you'd appreciate it, but if she can't that it's alright. Just be careful that you don't let yourself be turned into a doormat.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I help out my brother and sister in law with baby sitting sometimes and she pays me 10 an hour so I would say your sis is getting off very inexpensively!! And yes it was her that told me what she was going to pay me, I would have done it for far less.
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 11:53 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Family and business should be two separate issues. I hop that your sister appreciates the huge discount and I hope that the rate is not hurting you financially

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 AM on May. 19, 2009