what does it feel like when you are dilating?

i have been having contractions, they kinda hurt since i close my eyes until they just go away, but while i'm having one my low back hurts,hips,belly and i feel a pulsating pain inside but they are not too strong either i can still handle it, but i dont know if it is braxton hicks or i'm already dilating? this friday i'll be 40 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are having back labor, if it gets to be 5mins apart go to L&D
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:11 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You can't actually feel yourself dilating (at least not unless you can get your hand all the way up there and feel it lol which is impossible while you're 9 months pregnant). But if you keep on having contractions, go ahead and call L&D.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• so i could be having back labor for days before delivering? because i have been getting them for the past week, i get 3 or 4 of those in a day
    Anonymous

• you dont feel yourself dilating and at 40 weeks it would be VERY unheard of for you to not be dilated at all! Doesnt your doctor do a vaginal check at your appts? It sounds like you are having back labor so just watch for them to get closer together, regular and stronger. With back labor it is very possible to have your back hurt worse than the contractions ever will
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:17 PM on May. 18, 2009

• just be ready at anytime to go, like i said if it gets 5 mins apart go to L&D
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• no my doctor does never check me, she says that they do that unless i really am in pain.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't know where you are at but doctors start checking at 38 weeks. I think you may be a troll.
    Anonymous

• nooo lol i'm so not asking this to get attention, i'm actually going to a clinic that is the governments and i think my obygn is not a really good one, or they just simply don't care that much for patients since its a governments clinic, i wish i could've paid a particular doctor for my pregnancy, unfortunately with all this recession i couldnt afford it :$ please don't assume things alright?
    Anonymous

• The government clinic here still checks pregnant women starting at 38 weeks
    Anonymous

• You won't be able to feel yourself dialating. You can assume that you are dialating if you are feeling labor contractions, especially if they are getting to be 5-6 min a part for 45-60 minutes or longer.

You might not go on your due date honey, if you're having labor contractions right now that are getting closer together and aren't going away, the baby may be born sooner than you think. Braxton Hicks contractions are uncomfortable but they aren't painful and they do not increase in frequency and intensity over time (they are more irratic).

If they start to be 5-6 minutes a part for a period of 45-60 minutes, call L&D.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:43 PM on May. 18, 2009