do kids around the age of 2 always like to throw off everything they have in their hands?

yesterday my friend came over with her little boy which is almost 2, he grabbed my husbands xbox controller and threw it off at our new plasma, are all little boys and girls that age like that?i'm just scared my little girl will become a little brat at the age of 2, i don't know if im the only one that feels anger at kids coming to visit someone and start grabbing everything and throw them off at everything they have in front of them, i guess its the parents fault, lol i don't know, i dont know if its just me, but this gets me so angry and annoyed, specially cause i feel shy to say something to them or the parents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• am i the only one? i just don't know if i'm right at feeling angry
    Anonymous

• it's all what they learn from their parents. obviously your friend doesn't punish her son when he throws things. i teach my son that throwing things is not nice, except if it's a ball outside or something.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 10:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Two is when behavior like this can pop up but it usually isn't to blame on the age. He's testing the boundaries and trying to get a reaction out of his mother. A lot of little kids will throw stuff because that's one thing that they can do that will get a reaction. Proper discepline needs to be in place where #1 the child has enough attention and doesn't have to do bad things to get it and #2 the punishment for doing something wrong outweighs the fun of misbehaving. Ineffective punishments where you're just going "no,no, no" all day and then fly off the handle without a warning when you finally get sick of it, don't give a kid a reason to stop doing whatever the heck they want.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't think you are the only one. If someone threw something at my new plasma I would be upset. It's hard because you can't yell at the kid but parents should be teaching their kids to respect things. Even a two year old should know not to throw things. I would talk to the parents.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• actually jackie thats not true. my son is punished, we dont argue in front of him, we allow no violence in front of him, etc etc. and he STILL throws things. he is 2 1/2. i dont believe its learned from parents or that its because he isnt given consequences for his actions. im not bashing your opinion-im trying to show you there are exceptions to that. :)
    now on to answer the question asked-you are not wrong for being angry. i believe there are kids that go through this phase with no trouble. then there are others that puts the saying "terrible twos" a whole new definition. i want to clarify-my little boy isnt bad child or misbehaves all the time. he has a temper (guess he gets it honest) and hasnt found the proper way to express his frustrations. we are working on that.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:36 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Toddlers at this age are extreme scientists - they will perform the same experiment Over and Over and Over again to see if the results are the same. They will test the same theory with different objects Over and Over and Over again. If throwing is their test, they will throw whatever they can and see what the results are (whether they get the same discipline, whether the object falls, where, does it break, does mommy scream/run/yell). They are scientists learning how the world works. Our job is to help them explore the world, learn that when you throw something, there is an equal and opposite reaction (not over-reaction). How you react and how you view throwing depend on what's being thrown. When my son entered the throwing phase, I would take away anything that was not okay to throw (toys, etc.) and give him balls to throw outside instead. When his friends came over, we hid stuff because they were not taught the same.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:22 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 22month she throws EVERYTHING. However when different ppl are around besides her daddy or I. She tends not to do it near as much.,
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 3:12 AM on May. 20, 2009