Poison Ivy has already struck my son (again) this year!

Does anyone have a good home remedy to not only help the itch but dry up the rash faster?

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 10:40 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mom always made a paste of cornstarch and water and put it on to soothe it, calm the itchiness, and help dry it up.

I know it isn't the same, but I used the same remedy on my children when they had the chicken pox and it worked wonderfully. They've never had poison ivy before.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Aveeno baths always helped me when I was little.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• witch hazel. also most drug stores have this stuff called poison ivy extract. you have to go to the pharmacy counter and ask for it. (at walmart here you do anyway).

witch hazel will help big time with the itching and it will dry it up really quick
    calamine lotion helps until it drys so it is really not worth it since it dries in 30 secs. lol
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:43 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Oatmeal bath and benadryl or cortizone after bath
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 11:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Poor little guy! I have it right now too it is sooo itchy I want to scratch but I don't want to spread it.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 11:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you can find it, get some lye soap. A lot of farmer's markets carry it. It's nowhere near as strong as it was a hundred years ago, so it's safe for a toddler, just watch him and don't let it get into his eyes. It will dry up the rash a lot faster, and is actually milder than people think, so it doesn't burn or sting. I buy it for my husband to help with his psoriasis, and we used it on my three year old when she had an allergic reaction to fabric dye.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:44 PM on May. 18, 2009