How can i stop the top layer of nail peeling away?

The top layer on each of my fingernails seems to be just peeling backwards and off....so leaving behind a thinner nail. Does this make sense?

I have a balanced diet, but have been very very sick recently so think that my body is still suffering a bit (my hair is falling out too)

How can i help my nails get back to normal?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I take a GNC women's mullti-vitamin. It is 2 pills for one dose. I take one at nite, and 1 in the morning. I tell you that when I notice a difference when I forget to take them, and start again. I can feel the strength in my nails the next morning. My nails get strong, grow longer, and don't peel when I remember to take the vitamin as I told you. It seems miraculous, but it boils down to good nutrients. Given that you've been sick, you need to replenish your system w/ good wholesome food, and then the insurance policy of a good multi-vitamin.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2008

• Are you sure it's not a nail fungus? Could be a sign if the entire nail is peeling back like that. See your doctor - if it's a fungus he'll prescribe either oral or topical medication.

Glad you're feeling somewhat better. It's not fun being sick! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2008

• I agree to take vitamins.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• I have always had crappy nails. When I joined Shaklee, I started taking their vitamins, and I could actually see a line in my fingernail where they were growing in healthier! Also my hair grew in healthier. The Vita-Lea is the one I take, but they have tons of others to choose from.

carrieokier

Answer by carrieokier at 7:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• My nails are thin and brittle, they never grow. when and if they do they break as soon as I shower or wash a dish. wonder why. hmmm
    AuntieVetta

Answer by AuntieVetta at 11:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2008