Christians:When you feel others are putting down or attacking you

...how do you turn the other cheek? Do you correct them and give a friendly reminder not all Christians are the same? Do you ignore the remarks? Do you pray for them to meet other Christian examples?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, prayer. I'm not one for confrontation. So I tend to close up to the argument and turn to a higher authority. And, I've rarely felt any sort of put down or attack from anyone, except for other Christians... so I feel prayer is the best route.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Turning the other cheek, to me, means not attacking back.

I don't see anything wrong with defending myself. I believe that Christians should know what they beleive and why they believe it and at any given opportunity, should be able to share it with anyone that asks. I think a lot of times when people make religious insults, it is simple because they don't understand. I am more than willing to explain why I believe something so that they don't have to continue to make the same insults to other people. Does that mean that by explaining they'll agree with me and believe too? No but perhaps by doing so they can start to understand a little where I/other Christians are coming from and that most of us aren't there to be horrible people to everyone. Insults of all kinds and in-general are uncalled for.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• (cont.) in addition, when someone makes a statement that generalizes all of us, I correct them too. Foremost, if they knew that there are branches of Christianity out there that actually agree with their views, perhaps they'd try out one of those churches and start going. Secondly, making a gross generalization when it is obvious you don't know what you're talking about can be embarassing. Letting them know they're making a generalization or false assumption, to me, can help save from embarassment in the future. I really, really don't like it when people assume they know everything there is to know about Christianity and then tell me what I believe.

All in all, none of it gets me pumped up or angry. I'm secure in my faith. Faith is personal and can't be forced on other people. I can't help it if someone doesn't like what I believe.

Praying for people who persecute you never fails too.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with NovemberLove - I see nothing wrong with kindly correcting someone.
    Although, I tend to get along great with non-Christians - if I get "attacked" its usually by a Christian - because others are willing to accept how I believe as long as I'm respectful, but many Christians cannot accept that I believe differently than them, even though I, too, am a Christian.
    I've been told I'm not "really" a Christian, or not Christian "enough", that I'm blinded, mislead, or deceived, that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and so on.
    To which I merely reply that the commandment of Christ is to love, and that I have come to my conclusions, they've come to theirs, and I refuse to argue about it, especially when to do so is rather unChristianlike....
    If a nonChristian were to "attack" me, I'd merely tell them how I really think (nicely), as opposed to what they THINK I think.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• most of the time i re-read what was posted to make sure that IM not reading an attack or negative comment into it. then i usually try my best to defend myself w/o attacking back. i also make sure to remind them that not ALL Christians are like what they've dealt w/ in the past & that its wrong to assume all Christians are the same way.

now in RL i just roll my eyes at them & walk away. im VERY non-confrontational in RL.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It depends on what is said. Most of the time I simply state my opinion or quote a scripture if one comes to mind. Usually, I simply tell the person they have right to their opinion and so do I. I have a very strong faith and other peoples comments do not really bother me. It is their problem not mine. My job is to stay strong in my faith and be a good example. I do not want to give them a reason to bash another Christian based on my behavior.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It really depends on what is stated. If it is a full on attack and I sense that the writer is seeking confrontation then I leave it alone. If however, I sense that a person is genuinely confused or genuinely seeking I will answer to the best of my knowledge. If a person has truly been hurt by someone who is a christian or is a part of a church, not always the same thing you know, then I'm not above telling them I'm sorry they got hurt. True wisdom in responding either here on CM or in the real world lies in being sensitive to the Holy Spirit and seeing what God wants you to do.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It depends on the situation. As a general rule I defend myself and my beliefs, but I don't argue with someone in defense of my faith if they are arguing just to argue. I have too much to do for that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with NovemberLove. Also, I think you will get used to the insults after a while and it won't matter to you so much, and I think that is a good thing. Jesus says that we will be hated for our faith in Him, if they hate Him they will hate us -- a servant is not greater than his master. We aren't hated, we are just insulted sometimes.

You need to make sure you are speaking the truth in love, and then if you get insulted you need to let it go.

I would say, yes pray for those who persecute (or insult) you. Pray that God draws them to Himself. But also pray that God blesses them and takes care of them and their family. Pray that God would do miracles for them. etc. Your heart towards them will change and you will have a sincere love for them that can overlook a harsh word.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• With all this preparing for how to deal with being attacked, does it ever occur to you that you aren't being attacked in the first place?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on May. 19, 2009