Mary Kay

Hi! I've been introduced to the Mary Kay line through a friend and I wanted to see what everyone thought.. Please be honest and let me know what you've heard or your experiences with it.. worth getting into? :) Thanxs!

angelkcm2

Asked by angelkcm2 at 10:49 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• MY SIS DID IT FOR A WHILE, BUT SHE NEVER MADE ANY PROFIT ON IT, SO SHE GAVE THAT UP AFTER A FEW MONTHS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE GREAT SELLING SKILLS, AND MAKE GOOD MONEY DOING IT!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• my sister in law did it as well and she hated it. she now sells Avon as do I. with Mary Kay you end up putting more money into it than you get out of it. Since she started selling Avon, she makes about $300 per campaign (bi weekly). I just started and making around $40 per campaign. but I only have 3 customers LOL.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• some people are successful. i did it for one month...never made back my investment. and i hated that i had to cary inventory. im in a at home business where i don't have to take orders or cary inventory. its much easier and more of a residual. you may want to look into some other options.
    mrsross5

Answer by mrsross5 at 11:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's like running your own business. You get back what you put into it. I personally was not very successful, but then again i didn't put a lot of time into it.
    SenoritaBonita

Answer by SenoritaBonita at 11:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Mary Kay is a business not a hobby. I am a successful Mary Kay Consultant. If you want to make money you have to work it the Mary Kay way. The best part you work at your own pace. I commend you for your post pros and cons about MK before you make a decision. If I can answer any questions or concerns you are welcome to pm me. I am a successful Senior Sales Director also.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 2:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The problem is the competition,it may boil down to any company over saturated with representives.
    It's risque either way because just about everyone knows a Avon lady,most of the time they have to get business through family and friends and co-workers. The customer based is built on loyalty. There are no residuals,just per order.Consider the out your pocket expenses vs the ROI.However,they're reputable & they are in for the long hull,althou Avon is more popular!
    Either one you choose it matters how creative you are,your sales & people skills & marketing your business. Get out to the flea market,leave some fliers around town,talk to the P.T.A at your childs school,join as many groups on and offline,Network,Model ...yes look the part,people will stop and say what color lipstick are you wearing?(walking advertisement!) Always have Business Cards & samples on hand,Do makeup parties,offer your services to bridal parties e.t.c
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 2:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Mary Kay, like Avon, is a dangerous, hypocrital company, supporting breast cancer research with one hand and refusing to remove carcinogens with the other. It is up to you if you want to be associated with these companies. I urge you to do your own research, here are a couple of links to get you started:
    http://www.ewg.org/node/17637

http://www.safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=104

Answer by rkoloms at 5:18 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My friend, Katrina, sells Mary Kay and has for 10 years. She LOVES it. For me, I sell Gold Canyon, this is a perfect fit for me. She tried to get me to sell Mary kay but I wasn't interested in a make-up home business.
    Best of luck to you.
    Marianne
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Mary Kay.. & Avon for that matter... are businesses that you really have to work hard at. You'll start out spending more than you put in, but you need to keep at it to become successful. It's a little risky, especially if you've never had your own business any more. If you'd like to try out a business with no investments and no risks, you should try DiamondCreek Candles. We're very flexible! Read my journal if you're interested

motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 9:42 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Remember first, the cost of the product. If your friends and family spend that amount of money on say mascara (an item that is bought several times a year), then it might be something you can sell. But if the income level that surrounds you (including your own income level) restricts that price level, it would be like being a self employed cadillac dealer in an area suited for fords. :)

Next, remember that while Mary Kay users will stick with that line, if you don't know folks that do, even if they can afford it, you only have that small window of profit, UNLESS you can constantly find people who will find people who will find people for you to sell to. Personally, that's not how I like to sell things. I'd rather have a product and a venue which people come to me.

My husb. has a cousin that puts her Avon products in our face at thanksgiving and we feel bad if we don't buy something. Whether intentional or not.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:34 AM on May. 19, 2009