my one year old son has one bright red earlobe...

has anyone else seen this with their child? my son, for the past few days, has had one of his ears turn bright red occasionally. then today when i picked him up from daycare, just the earlobe was bright red. it looked painful but he didn't seem bothered by it. when i touch it, he doesn't flinch. i seem to remember that when he first began teething, one cheek would sometimes get very red for a day or two. does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 11:22 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it possible that he has an ear infection? It could be red from him tugging on it all day. My ds used to get ear infections but never complained about them. We would find out at routine dr. appts. He would tug on his ear but he was teething also. We just figured it was from the teething. He never cried.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My 9 month old's ear is like that too! But it's right on the inside (not inside the canal but the outer part). It doesn't bother him either so I'm not concerened but it is weird. It's been like that for a while..no idea what it is though sorry.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I would keep an eye on it. If he starts running a fever, it feels hot or firm to the touch or he says it hurts I would bring him in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Thanks for the comments! It's so strange--this morning the ear looks completely normal again!

I did wonder if it could possibly be an ear infection (per Sadira29's comment), but he hasn't really been tugging on it. He does have his one-year checkup coming up, though, so I'm going to ask about it, even if it's not happening anymore. If the red lobe comes back, I'll see if his appointment can get moved up.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:13 PM on May. 19, 2009