How do you tell your mom that you don't think you want her in the delivery room when its time... its a thing between you and your husband??

momma2b060509

Asked by momma2b060509 at 11:29 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My mom abandoned me when I was little..but I had this problem with my dad...I told him flat out I just dont want him there its something magical that I want just between me and my SO..I told him he can see the baby after shes born and wait in the waiting room while shee being born but I dont want him there...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• well with my first baby i had my mom, my MIL, my 2 SIL's, and my husband in there with me. What a mistake, my MIL would not shut up long enough for me to concentrate.

i wanted my mom there with me with my second child but she was not able to make it and i was heart broken. I wish my mom was there with me. me and my mom were close friends. I miss that.

I would just tell your mom that you don't want to share the joy with anyone else other than the person who helped you create this baby. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I had to tell my step-mom & sisters/cousins all that nobody would be in the delivery room besides my hubby b/c that was our special moment that we wanted to share between the two of us....I think almost everyone I told got offended but oh well...if they love you they will understand your desire to capture that moment together....I had to be firm about it b/c some persisted to be in there...I did not budge! lol
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 11:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My DH, mom and a friend of the family who is like another mom to me were there for both of my babies being born. To be honest my dh wanted to give my mom a break and I whined "No I want my mommy" both times. I'm a mamas girl when it comes to pain. But I would just sit her down and talk to her about it she will hopefully understand.
    izzybear0217

Answer by izzybear0217 at 11:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You just need to be honest with her. Just tell her you are sorry but you want this moment to be between you and your husband only and that is what you will be most comfortable with. Tell her she is more than welcome to come right in after the baby is born but you do not want her in there during the birth. If she gets offended or upset, oh well. It is YOUR baby, YOUR body, and YOUR choice. She should understand that and I'm sure she will. No one should feel that they have the right or need to be in the room. It is up to the patient and the patient alone so just be honest with her and tell her your feelings! She will probably understand but if she doesn't, she'll get over it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• exactly how you just said it up there! sit her down (or call her if you live too far) and just say this is a special time between my husband and i and we really want the delivery to be just between us, but would love to have you ready and waiting after the baby's been cleaned and weve seen him/her. shes your mama, she will understand im sure.. and bottom line, its your choice so she has to respect it.. good luck!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 11:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I had my mom with me through most of my labor but when it came time for delivery I let her know that it was a special time and she understood. With my second she really had no choice. She was watching my ds and it was late. She took her home and about an hour later my ds was born.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I have had this same problem. I just really want it to be me and my boyfriend, but I can not tell my mom that, because I dont want to take away this special time for her being a first time grandmother. I just want her to have the experiences of her life that she wants. If it wasnt for that, I think I would be able to tell her....Good luck hun!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 3:25 AM on May. 19, 2009