. help with breastfeeding....i went back to work a month ago and i am breastfeeding my 3 month old dd. i cannot pump at work, i work in the middle of the mall. i feed my daughter every 3 hours and pump as often as possible. i am still losing my milk supply.what can i do to restore it.??

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 11:38 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your body should adjust... but I would try to add an extra pumping session a different time of the day, like right before bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• there is a supplement (the only one that helped me) called Mothers' Lactoflow...it's only available online but it helped a lot...good luck:) You should have breaks every 4 hours and a lunch break..can you pump then in the bathroom??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Talk to the mall manager. They should offer you a place to pump that is NOT a bathroom.
    Also, many times around 3 months, babies go through growth spurts where it really seems that your supply is dwindling.
    Another thing to watch is that you don't bf on a schedule. Bfing on demand throughout the day (AND NIGHT!!) will HELP your supply. If you stick to every 3 hours, you WILL lose supply. You should only pump while away from your baby, or while you are nursing on one side and pumping on the other. If you pump instead of nursing the baby, your supply will go down. If you are with your baby, you should nurse her. She is MUCH more effective in getting breastmilk out than a pump.
    It's VERY important to have a GOOD pump. If you qualify for WIC, talk to them and let them know you are working now. They can help you get one. If not, you can get one for about $150 or so. The cheap ones are NOT good, and can damage rather than help.
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 12:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• How long do you work for? You may want to bring a hand pump with you, carry it in a back pack or if your purse is big enough, in there and then take a 15 minute bathroom break. If anything, at least that will keep you from drying out as bad. I work and nurse but my boss is nice enough to let me pump in her office when I need to. Have you considered asking your boss about some options?
    purecity

Answer by purecity at 12:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Look into Reverse Cycling

Working Without Pumping

Send What You Pump

Breastfeed more when you are together.  Every 3 hours is not very often.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:00 PM on May. 19, 2009