why is it when your pregnant you can eat peanut butter but when your child is ready for solid food they tell you to avoid it for the first 2 years?

My sister and I were wondering. Not sure what brought that up either. :)

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 11:41 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I gave my dd peanut butter at a year
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• We think alike I was thinking the same thing as I was making a sandwich the other day lol I don't know sorry
    NicksMom11385

Answer by NicksMom11385 at 11:43 PM on May. 18, 2009

• They say that they can get " peanut allergies" From it...which makes no sense if you eat it when your pregnant lol. I guess maybe it's a choking hazard?
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 11:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I've read some studies that suggest you not eat peanut butter while you are pregnant. I ate it with both my kids and neither one of them are allergic to peanuts.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• because they can get an allergy...its the same kinda deal with other foods as well....apperently the sonner they eat the food the more likely it is for them to get an allergy to it...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm almost eight months pregnant and there are days when I just wander around the house with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon....

It's because peanuts are a common food allergy. Some doctors will say the same thing about eggs.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Actually not all pediatricians are recommending waiting to introduce foods because of possible allergies. However, the peanut butter CAN be a choking hazard which is why some recommend not giving it to younger toddlers. After a year old, you can give your child peanut butter but if you do, make sure to spread it VERY thin or even mix it with applesauce or something like that before spreading it to make it less sticky.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:51 AM on May. 19, 2009