Cold Remedies for 14 month old???

My poor daughter is so congested she can hardly breathe. And everything is dripping from her nose into her throat so she's practically choking on it. She wakes up several times a night and I suction out her nose so she can breathe better and get back to sleep. Since they've now said that nothing is safe to give to our children what do you mommies do to help alleviate their pain & discomfort? Thanks, I just hate to see her like this. :(

princesspalace

Asked by princesspalace at 11:44 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Saline drops (a mist is easier for babies)
    Peppermint tea (peppermint is a natural decongestant), just be sure the only ingredient is peppermint
    Vicks is made with petroleum byproducts; be sure that this is something you want on your child's skin.
    Take her into the bathroom with a few toys and close the door. Run a hot shower and let the bathroom get steamy; this will help break up the congestion.
    Food high in antioxidants will make her feel better: frozen blueberries, baked sweet potato, kiwi
    Hylands (the people who make the teething tabs) have a couple of great homoepathic tabs for kids colds (I don't have any, and I don't remember the names; one is vitamin C somthing and one is something sniffles maybe).
    I hope this helps, and I hope that you and your little one do better soon.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I always smear my kids from head to toe with Vick's. It seems to break up chest and sinus congestion better than any oral decongestant that I've ever found.

I also make spearmint tea for them if they have a cold. Just boil the leaves (or use a few drops of spearmint oil), add a bit of honey to sweeten it, and let them drink it while it's still hot. (Not hot-hot, just really warm.) The combination of cooling mint and warm liquid seems to help with everything from stuffy head to upset tummy. It's my favorite cure-all!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:50 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Vicks is great. I also use saline drops (in conjunction with the nose sucker), the kind that is safe for babies. Not sure if I would use the honey, as most brands are not pasteurized and can be unsafe for your LO. Good luck! Hope she gets to feeling better soon.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 12:26 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Yeah, I guess I should have stressed that you should NOT give honey to a baby younger than twelve months because of the risk of botulism. If they're younger than a year, use pure cane sugar to sweeten the tea.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Everything you did as an infant...

Elevate her head
    Run a humidifier
    Steam in the shower and suction
    Saline nasal drops and suction
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Be careful with Vicks. It actually made it harder for my boys to breathe because of the fumes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You can use Vicks but just make sure it's the Vicks BabyRub not the regular Vick's. Vick's VapoRub is now being said that it can actually cause respiratory problems in babies under 2 yrs. of age. There's an article on it here: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/01/13/vicks.html Also even with the BabyRub be sure not to put it on the babies face or under nose. Just rub on chest, neck, & back like it says on the container. Also for something soothing to drink I found a website that suggested 'Honey Don't Cough'. It's made with Buckwheat Honey- still only safe for babies over 1 yr. of age. You can see it here and the cost of it:
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=217652&catid=27024&trx=CRT-PLST&trxp1=17008&trxp2=217652

Other than that pediatricians and pharmacists both only recommend using saline drops and a humidifier/warm bath to help alleviate symptoms. Good luck with your little one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I give both my children a steemy vapor bath when they get stuffed up.Johnson and Johnson makes it.It's in a teal green boddle.I even use it on my husbend when he gats stuffed up.It works well to brake up everything and it calms them down too.I also put vapor rub on there feet and then put thier socks on them.I do this at night.At bed time.I know that it sounds wierd,but it works.Your feet are your bodies natural filter for toxins and they also ubsorb things.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice/tips ladies. :) I used some of the Vicks BabyRub on her last night and it seemed to help or at least it made me feel better that I was able to do something for her. :p I also did the steamy bath before bedtime tonight. And she did only wake up once last night so that was an improvement. Hopefully she can sleep through the night tonight without waking... my fingers are crossed! :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 9:49 PM on May. 19, 2009