Can I sign me and my son up for Medicaid but not use it for him because he has private insurance?

I need insurance for just myself but can't get coverage for just me and my son is covered under private insurance. I could sign us both up for medicaid but i wouldnt use it for him because i want him to continue seeing his current pediatrician in the much much nicer clinic that he goes to. I would just use it for me but I cant sign up just for me (BS if you ask me) Could I do that? It wouldnt technically be abusing the system because I wouldnt be using it for something I didnt need it for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Health

• You would HAVE to disclose that your son has private insurance and if your income level allows you to qualify for Medicaid then they would stipulate that his private insurance is to be billed first and Medicaid would be the secondary insurance.
    You can go online to find what the qualifications are for your state in order for you to qualify. I don't know if you have to be on Food Stamps to qualify, or if you can be on Medicaid alone if your income falls within the poverty level.
    It will not be fraud if you are honest about your son's private insurance, but if you do not disclose this information to them, and they find out, then they will force you to pay back any amount they paid in medical bills for yourself, or they will charge you a fine and possibly make you serve jail time, as well. It isn't worth it to defraud the system, in my opinion.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My husband has insurance through his work but we're all still on Medicaid. They know he has his own insurance so on our card there's a code next to his name that tells the offices to bill the other insurance first. Just make sure they know when u sign up.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes you can do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes, you can use his insurance as primary and the medicaid would pick up the copays or deductibles.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It would be insurance fraud if you do not disclose to medicaid that he has private insurance. Medicaid is billed secondary to insurance so it should not be a problem to continue with your current pediatrician.
    If you do get medicaid, that means despite the fact your son has insurance he qualifies for medicaid and you should use it. You simply tell the doctor that for right now in addition to his regular insurance that your son has medicaid and give them the information and they will bill them secondary.
    So the answer is BE HONEST, and use the system. If you qualify, then you should use it. :) HTH
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• um no you can not that is called insurance fraud. If you have two insurances and dont use one you are hidding it you have to use both. your sons medicaid will be a secondary insurance and a lot of drs offices will accept that
    cntrycuttie2

Answer by cntrycuttie2 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009