I need your help!

I recently got an offer I just can't pass up... I have the opportunity to teach at an adult learning center if I can come up with an interesting, applicable lesson plan for a class that involves politics and/or government issues. I am having trouble figuring out what to base the class around - I have a degree in political science so I know what interests ME, but as this is an "adult learning center", I need to know what the "general population" would like to learn about politics or the government. SO, here's the question: If you could take a (relatively cheap) class on anything related to politics, what would it be? What do you wish you knew, or what would you like to learn about? Any ideas are welcome and appreciated!!!

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 12:10 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm very into politics and during our last election I heard several people saying that they didn't know what any of that stuff meant and felt dumb for it. Basic things you'd think most people know they don't like what happens if the vice president and president both die or what is a primary for etc. Seriously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think a class for people who want to know how to get involved in their government would be great. Just a class that helps people learn the proper way to go about making change. People complain all the time about the state of the world, but it's hard to cut through all the red tape and learn how to effectively get your point across to your representative.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 3:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I am always stunned at the number of people who have no idea about who represents them. A class built around introducing citizens to their city, state and federal representatives and their responsibilities would be a tremendous service.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think teaching the process of elections, the basics, almost 10th grad info level would be excellent. Then move to how laws come into place. This would be a foundation that you could build upon to offer for the next class.

At the same time, if you find that your local college brings in generally intelligent and poss. folks with college education who would be beyond the foundational level, I'm not sure. Maybe like the previous poster suggested, a class that teaches how to get personally involved with politics on the local level, state and then on up.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:28 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think that an introduction to the Constitution would be great. This leads into understanding the election process (which could include a discussion of who their representatives are and how to interact with them) and an understanding of how laws come into being.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would start with basics, like addressing the fact that we are a democratic republic, and what that means as opposed to a pure democracy. Then into the constitution, and law and the branches as they exist today. I think many Americans lack knowledge as to how our gov and its representatives actually works.
    Anonymous