Christian religions?

I am seeking to find my way again with the Lord but I am having trouble. I don't believe many of the things traditional churches (I was raised Baptist, so I am basing this off of what I know from there) teach.

For instance, I believe the bible is an example of how you should live, not a literal word from God. There are too many direct contradictions in the bible to be straight from God. Too many men have had their hands in it for it not to have been altered or mis-interpreted.

I also don't believe God hates gay people, or would show them hatred as I heard preached this weekend (won't be going back to THAT church!). Is there a Christian based denomination that doesn't preach bias towards others, doesn't take the bible to be 100% literal, and teaches TRUE love and tolerance of everyone? (No, I am not gay, but I feel strong about giving everyone equal opportunities to live and love, no matter who they choose.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I have heard that the Unitarian Universalists are accepting of everyone. The are basically a non-denominational church. I had some questions myslef as to what I should be classified as, and I think I fit more into a Neo-Pagan or Gnostic Pagan belief group.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:19 AM on May. 19, 2009

• bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:23 AM on May. 19, 2009

• catholic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• ...Catholicism doesn't accept homosexuality...
    I think Methodism does, though - its a great denomination. I grew up in a Methodist church. The motto was "open doors, open minds, open hearts" or something like that.... The one I went to is a loving, kind church, and I've heard that others are pleased with the Methodist church in general as well....
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:26 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Looks like Christian Universalism to me. Again try Belief-O-matic
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Show me one "direct contridiction" in the Bible. Have you ever read the Bible for yourself... not had it read to you, not just accepted what somebody said the Bible says, but actually sat down and read cover to cover in context what is in there?

Again on your next point. God does not hate gay people. He hates their actions. Have your kids ever done something you didn't approve of? Naturally, because you correct that behavior or judge that behavior to be wrong doesn't mean you stop loving your child. Please don't take everything that preachers preach to be directly from the mouth of God. Humans mess up in teaching all the time. Again has everything you have taught your own child been perfect...no you are human just as every preacher.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

• God doesn't hate anyone, God hates some of the things we choose to do. Why do you say the Bible has too many contradictions? Do you have specific examples? Have you done extensive personal study yourself and sought to resolve the questions you have?

I am not going to tell you what to choose, but I do have a recommendation of HOW to choose. If you believe that there is a God, then seek God's guidance. Even if you question God, look for God to see what you find. If there is a possibility that the Bible holds any answers, then really study it. The search should be for truth, not justification. Do you want to find answers or just a group of people to validate your set of beliefs?

Just some suggestions.
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 12:50 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The churches I have attended preach acceptance and love. They do not teach hate. They do support marriage between a man and a woman but I do not consider that gay hate.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think the Episcopal church does - they have a gay bishop, at least....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:05 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Teamquinn.....

I disagree....Hate is a human emotion....God is above the emotions of Humans. 

I would think one would want to give him more credit then that.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:58 AM on May. 19, 2009