I am worried about my sons weight and teeth

so my ds has always been smaller than the average baby in weight but height has been above average and his milestones above average. So today he has his 9 month check up and the doc isnt too worried about his weight but he only weighs 17.8 lbs. she says his weight and teeth are delayed. he only has 2 teeth and a 9 month old should have 4-6 teeth. I am worried I am a bad mom or something. my son has always been small and I was small when I was a baby too. the doc isnt worried but I am. He only eats 5 oz every 2 hours still but sleeps through the night. He also eats 2-3 baby food jars of the 2nd foods for breakfast lunch and dinner so 6-9 jars of baby food a day and at least 20 oz of formula a day too. I also give him little snack things like peas and stuff and baby snacks. he eats alot and more often, I am just so worried so what are the details of your 9 month old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is healthy and eating well then don't worry about your child's weight. He's probably just a smaller child. Looks like he is around the 10th percentile for his age.... which is fine.

As for teeth.... nothing you can do about when they do or don't come in. My son just turned 10 months and has 4 teeth.... a friend who's baby was born on the same day as my son, her son has 8 teeth and another friend who's baby is a year old has only 2 teeth. Other kids don't have any teeth at all at a year... some get teeth at only a few months of age. I wouldn't worry about your child's teeth at all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm dealing with the same thing with my youngest daughter, at least where the teeth are concerned. Her height and weight are above average for her age, has surpassed her milestones, and is in perfect health. But she only has two teeth! I worried myself sick until her doctor told me that some kids are just like that. Her teeth are formed, they just haven't popped through yet. The doc told me not to worry, they'd come through when they were ready. Then she laughed and said I was lucky. The longer it takes for them to come in, the less likely she is to have cavities before they get loose and come out.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would not worry at all! It sounds like he is getting plenty of calories and some kids are just small. My first DD was only 19 lbs at a year~ and my youngest DD is even smaller than her. My pediatrician is not worried one bit, she sees that they are growing and healthy. As long as he is gaining some weight and length at each visit, I would not worry at all. He just may be on the smaller side--nothing wrong with that! And as for teeth...the longer it takes for them to come in the healthier they are, according to our dentist! None of this makes you a bad mom, it would be different if you were not feeding him, but you are taking good care of him!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 1:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i'm not sure about the weight, but for teeth they normally get their first between 6-12 months. that seems normal to me. my son is 10 months and just got his first 2 teeth in the past month.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:47 AM on May. 19, 2009