What are some of your tricks, handy helpers?

I've come to adapt several tricks other parent's use. Please share something you've discovered that works for you.

My little girl is one year old and she has had 2 episodes of the flu. What do you do with a baby when they throw up? When I know she is sick I put her in clothes that don't go over her head and out a towel on the floor ready for the next puke. When she's gearing up to puke I take her to the towel, hold her close to comfort her and then we both change and get cleaned up. That makes puke throw up clean up easier!

What have you got?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:44 AM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• If one of my girls is sick, I pack a small toolbox with a lock on it and keep it in their room on the top closet shelf. That way I don't have to rummage through my medicine cabinet to find the Emetrol or the "booger bulb" when they need it. I sleep in their room if they're sick, and I've got everything I need right there, so they don't have to wait for Mommy to run to the bathroom for medicine.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:51 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We have a "puke bucket" if anyone in our house feels like they need it... its next to their bed... and I clean it really well! So it doesnt smell or anything... makes it much easier in case they cannot run to the bathroom fast enough!!!
    It sounds like you have a good system down already though!!! Much better than what I have done! Two thumbs up! Plus look at it this way... when my kids get sick like that... they arent gonna wear anything that goes over their head! so you have helped me!!! Thanks!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:10 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We use throw up cups. the jumbo slurpee cups work really well. I sleep with my daughter when she has a stomach bug; this has prevented a lot of mess.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, there's a difference between a baby puking and a toddler. When my toddlers start with a stomach bug, we have a puke bucket and aim for that with the younger ones, the older one has learned to get to the toilet.

I keep pajamas on them because they're much cheaper to replace if we have to than clothes. I lay towels on the couch, they stay on the couch with a blanket that is easily washed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:09 AM on May. 19, 2009