What kind of things went on when you were little that would NEVER fly today?

1. My mother used to send me to the store on my bike with a note allowing me to purchase her cigs for her. I didn't even pay for them. I charged them without a credit or debit card, the store just went off of good faith.
2. Our bus driver used to swear at us and scream, "SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE HELL UP"
This is just two of MANY!
How about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow, we used to be able to walk into a store when we were young teens and buy ciggies and tell the clerk that they were for our step-mother and then we'd sneak off into the woods and smoke them ourselves....LOL.
    Gigi ~ I remember our local grocery store when I was really young having ciggie butts all over the floor and people smoking inside the store. I'm so happy that is out the door today!!!
    We never, ever used seatbelts or car seats growing up - I'm glad it's a law now, however.
    The norm for punishment was to get whipped with the belt regularly - sometimes with the buckle end.
    If we didn't clean our room then we had to sleep on the floor of the dark, scary basement for the night.
    We used to ride in the back of the truck and fought over who got the wheel wells...LOL. One truck had only a bed frame so a piece of plywood was set down and we were tied up against the cab of the truck. It was fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Well it hasn't been that long since I was a "kid" but when I was in kindergarten I was the only kid at that time of day and the crossing guard would drive me up the street to my house. She would probably get fired or arrested now for that.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• LMAO! You just reminded me that my older sisters would want to take us walking to the park or store and my mom would always say no because it was too dangerous. EXCEPT! when she needed cigarettes, she would write a note saying "I so and so give my daughter permission to buy me 2 packs of Salem lights 100's Menthols" and would give us extra for candy or soda. Wow, I had forgotten about that. lol. I also remember smoking was alowwed everywhere. Mom would be grocery shopping and dropping her ashes anywhere, it was the norm back then.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:14 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I can remember lots of things that I did as a child that would earn any parent a prison sentence today. For instance:

I rode all the way from Tennessee to Michigan stretched out in the back glass of the car.
    My Pappaw gave me whiskey when I had a cold.
    When I got into trouble, I was told to go cut my own switch.
    I slept in the tobacco barn (in an old tobacco basket) while my Granny graded the stuff.
    Drove the farm truck.

And all of that was before I was started school at age five!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:20 AM on May. 19, 2009

• we got to drive on Grandpa's lap
    we got to go to the store with mom's checks, she just had to sign them, yes even for cigarettes.:)
    my brothers and I had BB gun fights
    we ran power tools at very young ages

most of those things are still ok for kids around here though. Gotta love Montana! lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Buying my Moms cigs from a machine. My grandmother giving me moonshine for a cough. Sitting in my Dads lap while he drove. I don't even know if we had bike helmets back then. LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:47 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We used to play Cowboys and Indians but I don't think that's politically correct anymore, never mind having a toy gun!
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 7:14 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We used to wake up in the summer eat breakfast take off into the woods or all over town, we might come home for lunch depending on if we were hungry, we just knew that we had to be home before dark.
    tuesday10

Answer by tuesday10 at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2009