If I shoot him can I get in trouble?

If someone breaks into my house (with my kids at home) and I have a gun and the moment he steps into my house I shoot him can I get in trouble even if he turns out to be unarmed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the state you live in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Hmmmmmmmmmm........that's a tough one. I think it's legal since he's on your property. I'd give some kind of warning first.
    Anonymous

• Different states have different laws. In my state we can shoot their ass! I don't have a gun, but I have some other weapons that I'm not afraid to use:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• well, i don't know the law, but i would assume that you could, since you can't tell if he has a weapon and i would think its self-defence
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• defense*
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:00 AM on May. 19, 2009

• In some states if they are un-armed, then you get in trouble. Other places you can shoot someone for just being on your property. If I was in that situation I would shoot the person in a non-vital place, like their knee caps. He would go down but it probably wouldn't kill him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• In Texas the answer is no. I think a guy even had charges against him dropped for shooting an intruder at a neighbor's house in the Dallas area.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:07 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i don't know. i'm sure it varies from state to state. but if someone breaks into my house damn right i'm shooting them.

and if you ever have to make sure you shoot to kill.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 1:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Oklahoma you wouldnt ..
    tweetyfan

Answer by tweetyfan at 3:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I dont know, but if they are breaking in my home, I will shoot them to the point where they cannot run, then I will hog tie them LOL ... that way if it is not legal to shoot them, they cant get me for murder! LOL
    I too think that it depends on the state! Laws vary from state to state!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:11 AM on May. 19, 2009