Tattoos in the bible

Does the bible really say tattoos are a sin? If so will you direct me to the book and chapter please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There was a similar question like this earlier (the Bible is against holes/ piercing)....I have tattoos and I only know that the Bible tells us that our body is a temple. I have never read that tattoos are a sin and do not believe it either.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 1:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The bible says no piercings?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i think the body is a temple means like premarital sex and stuff like that but i dont think it has anything to do with tattoos and pierceings! if it did half of the world would be in hell right now!lol
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 1:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Anon1:04...I said there was a similar post about piercings/ holes, being considered a sin in the Bible (posted earlier)...I never read this and do not agree with the statement.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 1:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It's in the old testament - Leviticus 19:28 - have to read it in it's correct context. There's a group on here... tattooed Christian moms.. and also on myspace there's a blog by The Tattooed Preacher that does a great teaching on this bible verse and tattoos.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:25 AM on May. 19, 2009

• it is only a sin if you are doing it to honor the dead. thats why they did that in the bible. It is also OT and Grace came .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:44 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with bonn777 and shaneagle777. I love tattoos!!! My husband and I are addicted. And half the people at my church are all tatted up. In fact my tattoo guy is an on fire believer.

It is not a sin and I use mine to display my love for my Lord and my family. One of my tattoos is a verse on my upper back and I can't tell you how many people ask me about the Lord, just because they see my tattoo. It opens the doors for me to share my faith.

My next one will be the Hebrew word "dayanu" on my wrist in Hebrew lettering. It means "it would have been enough" and it is from the passover ceremony, where the Jewish people acknowledge that God has done way more for them than they could have ever imagined. And God has given me way more than I could have ever expected in my wildest dreams; His grace would have been more than enough!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You are not to cut or tattoo the dead is what Leticus says. The Caninites at the time did this. That is the only verse in the Bible that warns against tattoos.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I personally dont feel tattoos are wrong(actually have one and am planning for at least 2 more:) we were taught in the school i was going to that they were..the pastor that was preaching used the verse in lev. to say why....well, my fellow seniors and I went and read it in context...yeah, it came across as to not tattooo in remembrance of someone..however, my biggest conflict about the whole thing was that we were always getting taught that old testament law was done away with the second Christ died. soooo now, i feel it is about personal conviction. and there is no right or wrong answer to tattoos.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 7:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You have to follow your own convictions. I don't believe in tattooing myself, and most other things that are popular in the secular world. I feel that adding cuts, stains and piercings to the body unnecessarily is defilement and it gives us a worldly appearance. God has called us to separate from the world. Most everybody has tattoos now, and it's funny to me how many middle-age and older people I see almost covered in them. Again, pray about it, and follow your own convictions.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:39 AM on May. 19, 2009