If you're a vegetarian.....

why? Is it b/c you don't like meat, don't want to eat animals? Sorry, I don't get it. Just trying to understand.

NicMorgan

Asked by NicMorgan at 1:07 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The only way that I can explain it to you is like this: Would you consider eating your dog? A dolphin or gorilla? No? That's the way I feel about eating ANY animal. I don't know why I feel that way, but I always have. I came from a family of southern meat-and-potatoes kind of people, but when I realized fully at the age of 9, where exactly the meat was coming from, I was just grossed out. And horrified. I just cannot bring myself to eat something that was a living, breathing creature. I don't go around trying to convince everyone else to feel the same way, but for me, that's just how it is and always will be. I wouldn't eat a dog or cat, and I won't eat a cow or pig, period.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:21 AM on May. 19, 2009

• hell no im not. i couldnt survive w/out meat lol
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 1:09 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I just do not think it is necessary. I can get protein from other sources and do not see a need to kill something in order to eat it.
    onemancult

Answer by onemancult at 1:10 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i pretty much only eat chicken and seafood. red meat tends to give me headaches and makes me not feel well, and i don't care for pork or lamb (except bacon, but i don't eat it very often)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:13 AM on May. 19, 2009

• oops i read this wrong i thought the question said are you a veggitarian...sorry
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 1:14 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Meat is bad for people and bad for the planet. So to answer your question, we don't eat meat for health and environmental reasons. Beans, lentils and tofu cost much less than meat, so we also don't eat meat for economic reasons.
    Plant based nutrients tend to be better utilized by the human body than animal based (iron, calcium, zinc, amongst others).
    Recent studies have shown that a low fat vegan diet (we are not vegan) is better for type 2 diabetics than the tradtional diet.
    There are wonderful resources and recipes out there. www.pcrm.org is the website of the Physician's Committtee for Responsible Medicine; it is a great starting point for anyone considering cutting back on meat and dairy.
    the China Study by T. Colin Campbell is an incredible book on nutrition; you should be able to find it at your local library.http://www.thechinastudy.com/
    Feel free to contact me with questions! -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I am not a vegetarian, although not a big meat eater. After a ton of research for a class that I took, I have definitely changed the way I choose my meat. I will not buy anything but grass fed beef from a friend, because I know the animals were humanely treated while alive (it is hard to say that slaughtering a cow is humane) Most beef you buy in the store is horrible for you. Those cows were fed plastic pellets for "roughage". I also buy free range chicken which we rarely eat. my kids love vegetarian corn dogs and chicken strips. I would rather have them eating foods where I can read and understand everything in the ingredient list. So while I am not a vegetarian, I am starting to steer that way because I feel that my kids and I are healthier because of it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:44 AM on May. 19, 2009