How much additional liquids should I be giving my 8mo old bf son daily?

He sips from a sippy cup usually very little & @ meals ( water 90% but once in awhile prune juice for his constipation ). My hubby says he should be drinking lots of liquids other than breast to stay hydrated in this heat. So what is adequate liquids intake for 8mo old bf baby? he is my first. thanks!

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 1:46 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't NEED anything other then bm. Just nurse him and tell hubby to shut up about things he knows nothing about. Also, if he's constipated back off on the solids and nurse more. BM is a natural laxative. Go you for 8 months!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:49 AM on May. 19, 2009

• EXACTLY what PP said!!! I BF for 16 months and she is %100 correct...juice isnt good at all for their lil bellies I know this now after 16months ugh....any how breast milk will help him and he doesnt need EXTRA water but go ahead and keep letting him sip from his sippy and get water its just all in good practice for him!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Like the others said, breastmilk will hydrate enough. In the hot weather, breastfeed more and make sure YOU are getting plenty of water. Breastmilk is something like 80% water so it is definitely all the baby needs. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:34 AM on May. 19, 2009

• This is what I figured so thank you ladies! My hubby got me worried...my boy seems like he is doing great w/what hes getting....I do need to drink more fluids myself though for sure!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Make sure you are getting enough water and nursing on demand and he doesn't need anything else. My DH used to lecture about stuff like that and I would always just nod my head and continue to do what I was doing just to keep the peace.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:15 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Your bm is usually enough but it won't hurt to offer a sippee with water and sometimes juice in it. Even if it is just for practice to get him used to one so a transition will be easier when he's not nursing anymore.

I live in a very dry hot place, where the temps are already at 100 degrees and get up to 115+ in the middle of summer. I prefer to let my 8 m/o daughter have a sippee cup with water in the car when we are going to be out and about for awhile so she can stay hydrated and cool in the hot heat.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:39 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My doc recomended that my 8 month old be allowed unlimited access to a water sippy cup,it's really helped his constipation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 19, 2009