Can u put ceral n a newborns bottle and how early of an age?

MalakiahsMommy

Asked by MalakiahsMommy at 1:49 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its not recommended at all by pediatricians because it can cause over eating and obesity...I did though but my son was a preemee I did it because I didnt want to do formula and he was under weight. I started him on it at six and a half months, cut a small hole bigger then what is already there in the bottle and only gave it to him after he nursed. I only did it until he got the hand of doing the spoon NOOOO longer!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No. Never.
    There is NEVER a reason for cereal in the bottle, except for rare medical reasons. No HEALTHY child should ever have it. It's a choking hazard, it's not proven to help ANYTHING, it's filling up their tummies with empty calories when they desperately need that space filled with their liquid diet instead. It also can completely mess up their digestion and gut, cause gas problems, vomiting problems, amongst a ton of other things.

It's not recommended by ANY medical organization either.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• actually a dr may recomind it they did for my son but he wasnt getting enough to eat but DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT do it with out your dr saying it is ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on May. 19, 2009

• They can asperate the food on accident/choke. I wouldn't suggest it unless your child has a medical reason for this. If it's for sleeping through the night, I would suggest just waking the baby up more often during the day, so that they will be ready to sleep for bigger chunks of time at night.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 4:36 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You "can" do it, but it's usually strongly recommended that you don't. It's recommended cereal be offered at 4-6 months of age with a bowl and spoon.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You can do whatever you want, but we never bothered. Why not just teach baby to eat off a spoon?

Screw recommendations. Our children are all fine and they started on cereal around 4-6 weeks.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

• In the fifties breast feeding in America became very unpopular. Formulas and baby cereal were the buzz.. Moms believed if they stuffed their infants with milk mixed with formula before bed they would sleep better. Or if a baby was a cryer it was because the formula was not enough so add cereal to his bottle. As said, swallowing reflexes are not developed and baby can choke. Also research suspects that foods introduced other then formula or breast milk up to the age of 6 months can set a child up for allergies in the future. At six months the first cereal to be introduced is rice ceral fortifyed with iron. Hope this helped

Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 8:01 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I say its your baby and you do what you think is right...I consulted my dr about this issue and gave me some suggestions. Maybe talk with your dr? Good Luck
    mom2jesse

Answer by mom2jesse at 8:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I also got the ok from my doctor at 4 weeks cause my child had GERD. And the thicker formula worked better at staying down. I agree do not do it unless you get your doctors okay.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:33 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No, you shouldn't. It's a choking hazard. Babies shouldn't eat anything but breast milk or formula before 6 months. Some old school doctors that don't keep up with current health recommendations still say 4-6, but all of these organizations say no solids before 6 months:

World Health Organization,  UNICEF,  US Department of Health & Human Services,  American Academy of Pediatrics,  American Academy of Family Physicians,  American Dietetic Association, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council,  Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, and Health Canada

Check out this article and all of it's sited sources:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:52 AM on May. 19, 2009