The CDC is not reporting accurately, do you trust them?

They say there are only 291 cases of swine flu in WA state. Wa state says there are more.
Swine Flu (H1N1) samples and cases

Information about swine flu (H1N1) testing is constantly changing. Only samples sent to our Public Health Labs are included in this count. We will try to update this page with the most current information available at 3 p.m. each day.

Key: Probable Cases / Confirmed Cases

Totals to date:
Samples collected 1549
Samples tested 1192
Probable cases 1
Confirmed cases 410

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was using the WHO numbers. So it looks like mortality rate in this country is 1 in 1000 but world wide it's closer to 1 in 100. Now you go back to how many of those 5000 diagnosed will ultimately end up dieing over the next week or two and how many people are getting it that are undiagnosed.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• All cases are confirmed by the states health dept. maybe they are not updating the CDC daily.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 6:55 AM on May. 19, 2009

• 1 affirmed death in nyc this week. and today a baby 16 month died after having high fever, they are trying to confirm whether or not it's swine flu.. one thing for sure, it's on the rise everywhere. Just last week there were 5 school closing this week 17.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:43 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't trust any government agency. Not because of conspiracy, they just don't run efficiently.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, we're going to see 1/3 of this country get swine flu in the next year. The good thing, mortality looks like it's only 1% right now. The bad thing is the people being hospitalized are mainly 40 and younger. The people I worry about the most though are pregnant women. During the 1918 flu they called pregnant women the walking dead since the mortality rate was 10 times higher for them than the rest of the population. I think we're going to see a lot of pregnant women hospitalized and unfortunately, some more deaths.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:05 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The swine flu mortality rate is UNDER 1% by quite a bit. 1 out of 100 would be 1%, swine flu is 1 out of 1000.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2009

• There have been 9830 reported cases and 79 reported deaths. That would be around .80%. Now, the big question is have there been a lot of cases that haven't been reported which might put it closer to 1 out of 1000. Also, how long does it take for someone to die from the flu. If it takes a week or two, then mortality rate would be higher because more of the 9830 diagnosed will die.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:34 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Link for how many people have been diagnosed and have died so far.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/19/swine.flu.cases/
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:35 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I am using the CDC numbers from this morning. The ratio they show is approx. 5000:5.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:39 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I'd like to see a comparison between the "swine flu" and the "regular flu" as far as mortality rates. People die in this country every year from the flu. The elderly and sick are higher risk. We hear this consistently. Is the "swine flu" any different. I don't discount the sadness of the loss of a human life by any means I'm just not convinced this is a reason to panic.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:52 AM on May. 19, 2009