does you're stomach really shrink?

i was hanging out with my best friend the other day and she hadn't eaten all day, and when she finally ate she said her stomach hurt. then she said it was probably because her stomach shrunk because she didn't eat all day. can that really happen?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:09 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• yes it can.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• yes but starving yourself is no way to lose weight, try eating a healthier diet if you're concerned
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm not sure it can happen in just one day, but yes, it can. I know I've been sick before, like with the flu, for several days and didn't eat, and afterwards, I had to eat A LOT less. Usually, it seemed to go back to normal as long as I continued healthy eating habits after that, but it did happen. And I don't think it would be much help in truly losing weight, if that's what you're wanting. It might help short term, but I don't think it would be a permanent loss.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• yes! that's why many diets sugest you eat little portions many times a day....So that you stomach can shrink and after a while you'll get use to eatting smaller portions:) I'm just not sure it can happen in one day...
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• yes it can , same as it getting bigger if you stuff your self .
    eating small portions is how you are suposed to eat your stomach is normally no bigger then you fist .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:40 AM on May. 19, 2009

• its mostly bloating
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:20 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes, but not eating is NOT the way to lose weight. Very small portions 3-5 times a day will allow you to lose weight successfully, but if you eat healthy foods and exercise.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2009