What diffrences shows Ina babywith cerebral palsy or just l0w muscle tone?

i would appreciate it if any mom will explain to me the difference between low muscle tone and having cerebral palsy? do doctors immediately know he difference ?do early therapy and i don't mean an severe case of palsy i mean mild palsy or mild muscle tone i need to hear from mom;s that babies hAve cerebral Pusey when they SAT stood crowl walk and talked compare to muscle toe issues. alone family is driving me crazy saying the doctors are lying an she retarded and belongs in a wheel chair ? she only two please explain the differences, and isn't cerebral palsy caught at birth? also isent cerebeal palsy when they loss oxigen at birth i dont ge it at all.

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 3:34 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cerebal Palsy is kind of a "catch all" for some sort of brain damage. There are varying degrees for both CP and low muscle tone. Mild CP and severe low tone could very well mimic each other.

No, CP isn't always going to be caught at birth. It is not always from a lack of oxygen. Do some research and talk to your doctor if you think your daughter has a problem. Either way, early intervention is key to help her the most.

My son is 3 and was recently diagnosed with low motor tone. He's very uncoordinated and weak, especially in his core. He sat early, he crawled early, he walked at 9 months. He's having an MRI in June and if they find anything, I fully expect them to tell me "mild CP". But we'll see. For right now, he'll continue with his speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 AM on May. 19, 2009

• When we thought my DD might have CP we took her to a Neurologist. She was diagnosed with low muscle tone at birth. All her milestones were very delayed. The Neurologist saw her at around 12 months old and said pretty much right away that she does not have CP.

She is almost 6 years old and still has low muscle tone in her upper body. Her core muscles are getting quite strong as well as her lower muscles. She crawls very well and is just now starting to walk.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:14 AM on May. 19, 2009

• PS- when I say she crawls really well.... I mean NOW. She didn't start crawling until after her first birthday.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:16 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My daughter does not have CP, but she does have Down Syndrome and one main symptom of DS is low muscle tone. She did not crawl until a year old and did not walk until she was 18 months. She was sitting at 6 months and standing at 9 months. But I was told this was pretty early and she did not have as low of muscle tone as most others with DS. Some do not walk till5-6 years old. But as the PP said if you are concerned for sure go to your doc and get it checked out as early intervention is a key to ALL special needs kids success!!!
    Lovechild82

Answer by Lovechild82 at 4:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My daughter with low muscle tone walked on time and met most of her milestones. My son with cerebral palsy just learned how to roll one way. They are 18 months old. I sent you a pm and hope it helps.

BTW, forget what others say. You have to go with what your gut says. You know your child and the challenges much better than anyone else. That includes the doctors. If YOU think something is wrong, then discuss it with the doctor. Forget what the family says. My son was diagnosed and the family still says stupid comments all the time because they have no idea what they are talking about.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• When my son was younger (he is currently 2) he was thought to have CP, not because of low muscle tone, but b/c of tighter muscles. He didn't sit by himself until he was over a year old. I worried they way you seem to be, but I tried to stay positive. He was my baby and I loved him no matter what. I would listen to what everyone is saying. I would talk to a neurologist and see what they have to say. The last time I was at mine they told me to still watch my son, but he (seems to me) to be a happy, healthly 2 year old. He is a clutz, but he seems to be doing just fine. As for your family. Try not to listen to them. You will love your child no matter what. Good Lcuk.
    twinmommy416

Answer by twinmommy416 at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2009