Why am I so tired all the time?

I work the night shift, but sleep from 745am 'til about 3pm every day. Then I fall asleep again after dinner for about 2 hours. This past Saturday I slept from 1pm 'til 7pm and then from 830p til 8am. I cannot seem to get enough sleep. I don't have babies at home. My youngest is a very mature 8 year old. What can I do to have more energy?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:18 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I also had alot of trouble when I worked nights. It messes up your circadian rhythm. I am now a SAHM and that solved the problem! If that's not an option I would jut listen to your body-it knows when you need to rest. I also take melatonin at times if I have trouble falling a sleep- it has really helped me. I could never fall asleep as soon as I got home from work due to the adrenaline rush(6 am rounds-I am a nurse) - I found that if I turned the TV on it just kept me up longer. Try to make your room as dark as possible when you are trying to sleep. I would always drink a bunch of coffee when I woke up. It still took me awhile to get going. B-vitamins also help- like previously mentioned.Good luck-it is definitely not easy & only gets more difficult with age. Also be careful driving home!!!! I read some studies that showed that night shift workers driving home in the am are more dangerous than drunk drivers. Good luck!
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 4:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• sleeping too much can actually make you more sleepy!!!! Do you take vitamins? B-12 will give you some natural energy!!! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:20 AM on May. 19, 2009

• breaking up your sleep like that can also make you feel more tired. I felt like that all the time and then i started taking fish oil pills (you can get a HUGE bottle at costco for like $15) and I was AMAZED at the difference!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• There is a natural sleep flow that takes place at night, where we heal and stuff. If we mix it up or turn it around we won't be healed and will little by little break down. Thats why 3rd shift should pay more and swing shifts pay more. Theres something about the daylight too, trying to sleep with light or LED lights like alarm clocks, you don't sleep good with it. You see the light is for waking time to get vitimin d from sun! Everyone gets vit. D depletion in winter. It takes 15 min. in sun everyday to get it cause your body don't store it so you need it everyday or you feel bad and tired! Also vit. C works with vit. d so if you don't have vit d then the vit. c won't work right so there you go, now two vit.'s going without! Your body needs to heal itself also and can't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The simple thing to do cause you work them hours and have too, is eat green food of some kind "fresh" and take vitimins, and get 15 min. of sunshine everyday!!!! Do u want breakfast food before work and supper food when you get off? Then eat fresh green food in the sun, with sunglasses on before going to bed. Take vit. with alittle fat "like milk" and sleep with it so to get into body good with the sun vit. D cause you will pee them out if the other way around. Put black garbage bags on windows, they just stick there. Turn the LED light from alarm so you can't see it. No caffine after 3:00 on night shift!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You may be anemic... you should make an appointment with your doctor and have your blood drawn and see if you are.That is one symptom of fatigue. Good luck and hope everything goes well
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2009