how do i stop my preschooler from stealing diapers off of her toddler sister and wearing them?

I have two daughters 1 1/2 yrs and 3 1/2. My 3yr has been fully potty trained for over a year even dry at night for over six months. for the past month at night she has been stealing my 1yr's diapers off of her and putting them on herself durring sleep times. this is becoming a real problem. my 1yr is peeing on things since she is without a diaper. it seems to have become an addiction to my 3yr because no amount of dicipline works, and i've even tried a reward system to encourage not wearing. i can't seperate them for sleeping times because our place is too small, what else is there to do? i feel like i've tried everything. is there something wrong with my daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that for the 3 year old it is a phase. Sometimes the more you say no to kids the more they do it. Don't put too much attention to it. good question sorry I can't help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• she is jealous of the baby but maybe make her help clean up the mess when her little sister pees on stuff could you get her pull ups for awhile could she be anxious about wetting the bed ? that could be it to maybe the stress of being the older kid makes her nervice
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 5:53 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with goatmom, she is feeling jealous, and she may also have anxiety about wetting since her sister wets and she may worry about it. Give her her own package of diapers so she doesn't have to take her sisters. And have her clean up the mess the other child makes. Let her use her own diapers - whatever you have for the little one should be OK if that is what the older child is content with now- no need to buy a bigger size for her. This should help anxiety. If it is jealousy of the attention the other child is getting, then give her extra attention. When you change the baby's diapers, sing a song with the older child, or ask her to "read" you a story, - some way to show her that you are paying attention to her, too.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I found your question by googling "preschooler diapers" because my son is doing about the same thing!! I have been trying to find answers for weeks now and this is the first I've heard of someone else having the problem as well. My son is 4 and has been potty trained for a year, but recently he's been obsessed with diapers. He found an old pullup in his closet and he hid in there to put it on. When I found him he was acting shy and giggling like he knew he was doing something wrong. I asked this question to a radio station here in TX and they answered it on the air.....just go to the website for 103.7 Lite FM and on the bottom left there is a box that says "Kids Doctor" click on that and listen to the show from July 13th, where they answer emails...I haven't heard it yet but Im going to listen when I get home today. That should help us both out!!!
    aaaahhhhh

Answer by aaaahhhhh at 3:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009