Have you ever been to Disney World?

If so, do you have any tips or advice on hotels, best times to be at the parks, things or places to avoid, wastes of money, must see or do activities, etc...? This will be our first visit and I want to make sure that it ends up being perfect, or close to, for my family. Thanks!

shanlaree

Asked by shanlaree at 7:20 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Travel

• lots of questions ok...*takes deep breath* Never been but inlaws are addicted so I got some answers. Avoid the hot hours so go in the morning and leave around two-ish and maybe go back later after the sun settles around about six-ish. Do not rush yourself, take it slow and enjoy it. If you do not get time to see everything no biggy. I say go on the disneyland website and view the map with the family and decide what you want to see and do that first to be sure you get it in..then see the rest. Take a camera go figure!!!! Buy stuff that will last a long while and be remembered so no candies etc, autograph books, hats etc are good. The ride pictures only buy on the COOL ones lol. Try to plan like a one night special eat in the park dinner or something and take lunch any other time or eat cheap out side of park before you go. And you GOT to see all the characters lol thats the best. HAVE FUN we are going for the first time in july
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:41 AM on May. 19, 2009

• as a kid yes and we're going next month as a family. I have been to Disneyland Paris with the two older kids twice.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:55 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We've been several times, both with and without children. If you are going with children, I'd suggest staying on site near the Magic Kingdom. Staying on site is nice because you can take a break in the heat of the day, easily go back to your resort, rest, play in the pools, and you don't have to mess around with driving and parking. It is cheaper to stay off-site, and many places have shuttles, which would solve the driving and parking problem. The meal plan is fun, but you can save money by staying at a place where you fix your own breakfast and maybe other simple meals. http://www.disboards.com is a site devoted to Disney and helped me last time we went. Plan out what you want to see at each place - don't just show up at Epcot, for example with no clue about what you want to do there. Make meal reservations well in advance, 6 months if you can. Have fun!

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• 5 times. we always stay on site.
    www.allearsnet.com has lots of "tips" and there are many great guide books too. I did my homework before we went the first few times when the kids were smaller
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:13 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Been 6 times total twice in the last month for school trips. I always stay on site now. It is MUCH easier with transportation and taking breaks in the afternoon. Also, disney resort guests take advantage of extended hours which is great. My favorite month to go is February. Book your meals way ahead of time as another poster pointed out. Also, plan to meet characters at the dining options like MKs Crystal Palace. You eat and see all of the Winnie Pooh characters, kills two birds with one stone and saves time you would have spent in line waiting for their autographs.
    IMO the Rainforest cafe was not worth the $, food quality wasn't good and it took forever BUT, great photo ops and AWESOME suevenier shop.
    Plan to see the parades, they are really a lot of fun. Look into fast passes and parent swaps for rides little ones can't get on!
    haston

Answer by haston at 7:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Get comfortable shoes tons of walking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Shanlaree, have your already gone? Am I to late to answer this question? We have been many times. If you are taking your small children, may I strongly address to take breaks. Please don't rush them around. Go early in the mornings. If you can, stay on Disney grounds. Take medications...trust me...little tummies will get upset....Hydration...lot's of H2O....don't over pack...go to kid friendly restaurants...character ones are great...if you have a frig...in your room...buy some bread and sandwich meats, fruits to save up on money...plan a list of things you wish to do...do the fast passes...they are great....And here is a great website to sign up for future trips. I hope you and your family had a great time and get to go back. It's called Allearsnet.com....it has great tips and stories. If you travel by plane, take gum and let the little ones chew it...helps with the popping in the ears....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Contin.....there are these water spouts that are great for cooling the kids off and allowing them to play...I'd suggest allowing them to wear their bathing suits...if you eat at restaurants..plan ahead and make reservations at least 6 months ahead of time..but, if you can't...go ahead and call...sometimes someone always cancels...Cast Members are very friendly...if you need something ask them. Here is something very important because this happened to us...if your little ones or someone gets ill...ask the hotel about services for a clinic...most will even provide transportation to the clinics just in case you really need a doctor....I don't know if the parks still do this...but check to see if they have what used to be called E-ride nights...this will allow you to go back into the parks after closing hours and ride all the rides. The stores will be closed.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Contin....If the parks still allow after hours in the parks...this would be a great time to take the kids....it's like having the park all to yourself...the lines are not long and you can just take your time...check the brochures in your rooms for this information...I highly suggest the Nemo and friends at EPCOT....all the parades...find out times for those...and get there early....well these are just a few of the things...oh yes, one more thing...if your kids are little, rent the strollers...they are worth it...there are lockers there too if you need them...Hope you had a wonderful and Magical time...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010