how do I teach a child to tie a shoe when I don't have a whole lot of patients?

My DD just turned 4 and she is very smart and she does catch on quickly. I am going to be teaching her to tie her shoe cause they have to know how to tie there shoe before they can go to kendergarden and she will be going to school not this fall, but the next fall so I need to start teaching her to tie her shoe the thing is I tried teaching her a couple times, but I gave up cause she wasn't doing it. How can I keep my patients and keep at it? How do I go about teaching her to tie her shoe? And Is there any songs on the tieing shoes? One other Question what all does she need to know before kendergarden and what should she know by now? She just turned for last month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First, remember that there is a reason most kids don't master this until around age 5... it takes a lot of fine motor control. It doesn't matter how smart she is. It doesn't matter how quickly she masters things. If her body is not physically ready to learn this, if her brain has not yet developed the very fine motor control necessary, she will not learn. And you will be frustrated that your bright, quick child isn't learning this and she will feel like a failure.

Start with the half-hitch - the part before the bow, breaking it into small steps. Once she's mastered that, you can move on to the bow - which should be broken into steps too. Here's a good breakdown...
    http://ochomeschooling.com/specialneeds/ShoeTyingSteps.htm
    And don't expect to plow through this in a day. Break it down and spend several days on each step. Go slow and let her be proud of what she has already learned.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't know how to teach shoe lace tieing. Some one else showed my DD. My DS just turned 4 this week and I haven't even tried showing him yet. I think I'll recruit my oldest DD to help him with that! :-)

If he doesn't have the lace tieing down pat by Fall, I'll send him to school in velcro shoes.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• lol seriously ur gonna have to teach urself a lil more patience b4 u go any farther, u've gotta teach them waaay more than just tying shows & if thats frustrating 2 u whoa watch out! ok ok, sorry if that was kind of blunt, but as far as the tying shoe thing, just have her watch u do it, take it slow she doesn't have to learn it in one day, it is kinda difficult but she WILL get it eventually, b4 u know it she'll b wanting 2 tie everyones shoes! just keep practicing w/her don't stress over it, thats what frustrates u more, if she senses u've had it, she wont want to do it. make it fun, laugh, b silly she'll get it. my daughter just started doing it & she's in kindergarten. make sure she knows her phone number b4 she goes to school. good luck & have fun!
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Shoe tying is not just about intelligence, it is also about fine motor skills.

My daughter learned to tie her shoes at four just by watching others tie them.

The kindergarten class at her elementary school has shoe tying as a part of the curriculum; they have a big ceremony, in front of the whole school, on Shoe Tying Day.

If you really don't want to deal, then don't by shoes with laces.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The thing is where I am from they have to know how to tie there shoes before they go to kendergarden
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 19, 2009

• She has a year and a half to learn, she will likely be able to figure it out on her own. or get two long pieces of thin rope and slip them each around behind the rungs of chairs, and each of you hold one end in each hand and show her step by step. 5- 10 minutes a day at most, so she doesn't lose interest. Then you can sit beside her with a laced up shoe and show her how to do it using your show for you and her shoe for her. There are toys for learning to tie shoes, but there's no reason to spend money on something that you already have on hand.

Answer by Bmat at 11:06 AM on May. 19, 2009