my son has moved out of the house and will not answer my calls. Help!

I have twin boys who will be graduating from High school this month. I'm not sure why Jake won't talk to me. I have asked his brother and he doesn't know either or doesn't want to tell me . ? I have talked to his friends and they say he has changed and doesn't hang around with them as much, and is really liking this girl he works with. I don't know if this is a phase or what.

delany

Asked by delany at 8:40 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Im so sorry you are having to go through this. You have raised him and loved him now he is an adult. You should write him a letter and say I love you and I am always here if you need me. Tell him its upsetting that he seems to be shutting you out of your life. Then sit back He will more than likley come around when he gets through whatever he is going through at the moment.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:43 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Give him time - it's a phase. My daughter did the same thing and I would tell her what my fears were when she didn't call for so long. She apologized and began to call more often. Sometimes when a young adult goes out on their own for the first time they get so caught up in their new lives that they forget to keep tethered to their anchors (family). Eventually, he'll feel like he's drifting and realize he's missing his family. He might begin by calling his brother first just to get the feel of what is going on in the homefront - if he's going to get yelled at, ignored, or welcomed with open arms. So talk to your other son and let him know that if he hears from his brother to tell him he is very loved and worried about and that you wish to hear from him to know he is okay.
    Hang in there.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

• This is the first thing that came to my head just because this is what I did. When I started using drugs I stopped hanging out with all my friends cause I was imbaressed and I never came around my family. But if you know for sure that hes not on drugs then I wouldnt worry too much.
    Anonymous

• keep ur prayers within the lord and everything will b ok
    threetimesaroun

Answer by threetimesaroun at 1:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with the mom above me that praying is a good start. Are these boys planning on going through the graduation ceremony? Is there a dad in the picture? It sounds like you need a sit down family meeting.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:37 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I was just wondering if you could call the school and find out if he is attending. If so maybe you could talk to the principal and go over to the school and maybe talk to him in the principals office. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 2:12 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Sometimes they want to do something that they know you normally wouldn't approve of. Like having a relationship with someone that you might not approve of. In time they will come back. Trust that you gave them all the necessary tools to make the right decisions.
    Jammer829

Answer by Jammer829 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• could be keep tryin to talk to him
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010