A Question for those who believe in the God of the Bible

What did God do during eternity before He created everything? If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled Him to create? Was He bored? Was He lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete - it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium. There is nothing God needs, nothing He desires, and
nothing He must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist, so why the need to create the world and man?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:42 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here is what we do not KNOW... We do not know if the universe existed before he created earth, we do not know if he had re-created "rebirth" of the universe or something other... Too many assume that God was just a stand alone that nothing existed before him, we may find that is false, and that there many be a long chain history of existence long before our own universe and time.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 2:50 AM on May. 20, 2009

• part of your question is answered in the Quran. When God was about to create man, he told the angels about it... here is the conversation as revealed in the Quran

Al-Baqarah - 2:30
    And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth." They said: "Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, - while we glorify You with praises and thanks (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners) and sanctify You." He (Allâh) said: "I know that which you do not know." (Al-Baqarah 2:30)

i do not believe anything was revealed about before the creation of man except that God established the predecree 50,000 years before the creation of the worlds.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:49 AM on May. 19, 2009

• One of my favorite sayings came from the pastor who led me to Christ. "If God were small enough to be undestood, He would not be big enough to be worshipped." There are some things we are just not meant to know or understand. I personally love not knowing everything about God. I know the truly important things about Him. That He created the heavens and the earth,and everyone and everything on them. That He sent His son to die for me,to give me eternal life. That He loves me unconditionally,and forgives me unquestioningly. That His grace is unbounded,and His mercy is without limit. That He keeps every promise He makes,and only wants the best for my life. That He will send His son back, and I will go to be with Him forever in paradise. Those are the things that are important. The rest, if we were meant to know, God would have revealed it by now.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:51 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i agree with stv.. God has revealed what we need to live and what we need to get to paradise and stay out of the fire.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• So, Aasiyah, are you saying that god put people here to simply worship him? If he is perfect, then why the NEED to make something to validate how perfect you are?

stvmen88, I promise to be civil, I really am interested in the answers. I have a question for you though. Have you ever thought it strange that when no one can answer a question about God or the contents of the Bible, the same excuse always comes up about God being too great and wonderful for mere humans to understand and we shold not worry our little heads about it- I have. It just seems like a convenient little brush off.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• God is perfect and complete. He also knows all, so creation was part of His plan in eternity past. It wasn't something He just decided to do on a whim or out of boredom. Scripture says he knew of us before the world was created. So it was all part of His plan and always has been. (I won't even pretend to understand! I just know it is true and like the previous person said, if I did understand, He wouldn't be worthy of my worship!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Nicely put Styemen88 you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Thank you ihartu,and I promise, I'll be civil,also. To answer your question, no, not strange anymore. Before I was saved it seemed strange. But, once a person accepts Christ,so many things that made no sense suddenly make perfect sense. At least that's how it was for me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• micheledo, you totally miss my point. If God is perfect, he would need for nothing, desire nothing, so for him to even have a thought of creating anything for any purpose makes no sense.

stvmen88, I know plenty of Godly people who still question things and they find this questioning leads them closer to understanding. Do you think it's wrong to question your beliefs? That people should just surrender everything up to God and traipse blissfully though life with no worries because God will take care of everything? Isn't this a dangerous road to go down?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:10 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Sorry I missed the point! He doesn't need anything. He takes joy in us and our worship. Loving something and having joy in something is not the same as a need. I think that is one of the ways we are created in His image-the emotions of love and joy. Think of the pride and joy you have in your kids. I certainly don't need that and I know I could have a full life without it. (Not saying I am God- :-). But it sure gives me great joy to see my kids love! (Am I getting what you are saying, or still lost??)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:22 AM on May. 19, 2009