Choosing between your family and your Career...

I have a predicament, I am working on my Doctorate, and I’m almost half way there! BUT, I want another child and there is no way I can fit that into school and my family life so what would you do?!?!? I have a two and half year old little girl and I have 3 years left of school... I'm thinking I should just wait, I'm so confused, what would you do in my situation?!

HMHUTSON

Asked by HMHUTSON at 8:46 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I say if you want a career full time get your degree the child you have now will be starting kindergarten when you graduate no daycare worries for you. If you want to have another baby school and a career would more than likley be on hold. I would pick to be home with my kids and have the baby but thats just me. You really only know your circumstances and what would work best for you.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I do stay home I guess I should have added that, I attend night classes as I can't and won't have my daughter in day care.
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 8:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, a Human Resource Director once told me that we spend 75% of our life working. Only 25% with our families. Doesn't that suck?? If you are really serious about obtaining the degree, I would have to tell you to do it now. I don't think you would be able to once you start having more kids. The only way would be to wait until they are grown. So, I guess you have two choices, have your family now and put your career on hold, or put the family on hold and get the degree. If you are young enough, I would sure advise you to do the degree.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• If you SAH why can't you?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 9:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Working for a PhD requires dedication that cannot fit a baby into. As many thesis you are going to be writing is two babies in itself. There is no way you are going to fit an actual baby into doctoral studies.

Consider these two options, take a break and have a child now. Then later, finish your doctoral.
    Or, get your doctoral. Then after your residency, have your child. But then there's always a question of your practice. It's like a baby in itself too.

Just remember, the higher in the ranks you become, the more expensive it is to have a baby. Also, having a baby does set you back ten years. Things to consider.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My sister had a baby while she was working full time and working part time on her master's degree. She had a C-section and missed two weeks of school; and completed her degree with honors. If you have a strong support system you can do both.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:33 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You should give yourself some more credit because obviously you're a smart cookie to be in the program and  raise your daughter in the first place. Think about it. I bet you can think of 100 ways that you could make it work if you really want to. We believe in you. The women sacrificing is over. Women can have their cake and eat it.Baby+Career does not= can't handle. Baby+Career=Successful Doctor, mother and inspiration to other mothers trying to achieve ALL their dreams.

"

EboniSears

Answer by EboniSears at 1:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• being a stay at home mom is great your kids are at time where they need you i have a home based business to work out of my house so i dont have to worry about my little girl. if this might be and option for you go to my website (www.greatcareerplan.com/?pstone48) or (www.prepaidlegal.com/go/pattystone )also( WWW.GOTEAMFREEDOM.COM) THAT IN CAP LETTERS i love it it is great.
    nawnaw428

Answer by nawnaw428 at 10:31 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I just finished my Masters degree while working full time and I have 4 children. Give yourself some credit. It will take some adjusting but why cant you have a baby while you work on your doctorate? I will be going back for my doctorate in a year. I will be doing it while I work and have a family.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:54 PM on May. 20, 2009