Knowing the future?

"A God who knows the future is powerless to change it."

In other words, A God could not change the future from what He knows it to be. Otherwise, the outcome would be different than what He formerly knew it to be. Then, would He have really known the future the first go around?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:51 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Everything that happens, past,present and future is already predestined in God's will. God knows best,and it's not for us to question,or try to figure out. I honestly sleep better knowing my life is in God's hands,and His will be done in it. I tried the doing it myself,and going against His will,and the whole kicking and screaming and "I don't want to do what He says, I want to do what I want." Didn't work. Only served to make me more miserable than I'd ever been in my life. Once I came to Christ,and surrendered my will to His, my life worked out. I became a better person, parent, wife,woman. My family got stronger, our finances worked out, and my health was restored. Why? Because He always knows better than we do. And, like it or not, His will is going to be done in your life. You can either fight it,and be miserable, or you can let Him work,and have the peace that passes all understanding. I'll take the second one,thanks.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't understand then stvmen88...
    You say everything is pre-destined, but then where does freewill and choice come in? If your future is already laid out for you, then praying for healing or anything else is a waste of time because you cannot change God's mind about anything. I know most Christians will say they only pray for patience or wisdom or something like that, but that still is praying for something that is already given to you or not.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't get that either IhartU. If he knows the future, then he creates people on purpose who will never believe in him and he allows them to go to hell as punishment anyway.....even though he KNEW they'd deny him when he created them?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:09 AM on May. 19, 2009

• One of the statements Allah makes in the quran is that

Al-Ma'idah - 5:102
    Before you, a community asked such questions, then on that account they became disbelievers. (Al-Ma'idah 5:102)

and he says..

Al-Anbiya - 21:23
    He cannot be questioned as to what He does, while they will be questioned. (Al-Anbiya 21:23)

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• and the Prophet Mohammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said ,

5) Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) addressed us and said: O people, Allah has made Hajj obligatory for you; so perform Hajj. Thereupon a person said: Messenger of Allah, (is it to be performed) every year? He (the Holy Prophet) kept quiet, and he repeated (these words) thrice, whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: If I were to say" Yes," it would become obligatory (for you to perform it every year) and you would not be able to do it. Then he said: Leave me with what I have left to you, for those who were before you were desroyed because of excessive questioning, and their opposition to their apostles. So when I command you to do anything, do it as much as it lies in your power and when I forbid you to do anything, then abandon it. (Book #007, Hadith #3095)

Aasiyah

• I guess I don't fully understand your question. I don't believe God changes the future. He knows what we are all going to do, and He knows what His plans are-always has. So . . . I guess I am confused! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:14 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i need to study regarding pre-decree and free will ..i wish i could answer that question for you.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:15 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Aasiyah, then we are to not question ANYTHING? We are only to be created with a mind that wants to understand, learn and question, but if we don't suppress that need, we are going to become disbelievers? Knowledge leads to hell? God wants mindless Zombies who only job is to blindly worship him without question?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:20 AM on May. 19, 2009

• have no doubt that God knows everything (he answere the question, regarding god knowing everything, he says..in the Quran (this is just one of many places where he states regarding his knowledge)

Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists). Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. [This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursi ]
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:21 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No Ihart... He does not want mindless bodies... You can question.. what he said was EXCESSIVE QUESTIONING. and that speaks to questioning the details (matters which aren't important).. infact God wants you to gain knowledge however, we go into trying to be intellectual, trying to be logical trying to make sense out of something that perhaps is not for us to understand but to accept.

so yes y ou can question however there are people that will beat a subject to death in complete denail refusal`
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:23 AM on May. 19, 2009